Planting conditions for potatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Planting conditions for potatoes

Post by albertajune »

I wonder how much the ground will have to dry out before planting root crops this year. Potatoes are already showing shoots but not sure when they have to go in. I know not yet. If still too wet when they are ready, I will have another go at growing them in potato sacks, even though my last attempt at this way of growing them wasn't successful. I had masses of top growth but only a few tiny tubers. Any idea where I went wrong?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Planting conditions for potatoes

Post by billnorfolk »

Depends June whether early or late spuds, early from mid march to mid April ,lates from early April to mid may .If your ground is still wet at planting put dry compost with a little dried chicken manure pellets, in the bottom of the trench lay spuds on top of it then cover.
Planted in bags is never as good as in the ground ,all top is usually to much nitrogen in the soil or compost.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks Bill for that very sound advice. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you Bill and June.

I usually grow my spuds in great big pots. The first year I had a good crop, but last year I got lots of leafage on the top and very little spuds.

)t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Benny&Co wrote:Thank you Bill and June.

I usually grow my spuds in great big pots. The first year I had a good crop, but last year I got lots of leafage on the top and very little spuds.

)t'

Did you use fresh compost the following year ?and out of curiosity did you add any fertilizer to your compost

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I can't remember about the compost Bill, it might have been new or reused from the previous year.

I didn't add any fertiliser.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I used new compost Bill, with no added fertilizer. The bags were the ones that are purposely sold for potato planting. Like Bev, I had lots of very tall greenery. OH usually does the growing on his allotment, but last year found it difficult as he was then waiting for a knee replacement. Back to the ground this year, hopefully )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

albertajune wrote:I used new compost Bill, with no added fertilizer. The bags were the ones that are purposely sold for potato planting. Like Bev, I had lots of very tall greenery. OH usually does the growing on his allotment, but last year found it difficult as he was then waiting for a knee replacement. Back to the ground this year, hopefully )

t'
So that knocks my theory straight out of the window >dum< .
How is oh knee June got 2 of them to look forward to yet yike*

fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Too hot! )t'
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Not enough water. Even some of mine in the ground came out on the small side because the hot July sapped most of the moisture from the soil/compost and the plants started to die back earlier before the tubers had got a decent size. Always keep them well watered from when they produce flowers (if they do - not all varieties flower) as that is when tubers start to swell.

PS watch out for compost in pots/bags as it can get bone dry and water just runs through. Also, too many plants in a single pot/bag can take up water and dry the compost out more quickly
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

billnorfolk wrote:
albertajune wrote:I used new compost Bill, with no added fertilizer. The bags were the ones that are purposely sold for potato planting. Like Bev, I had lots of very tall greenery. OH usually does the growing on his allotment, but last year found it difficult as he was then waiting for a knee replacement. Back to the ground this year, hopefully )

t'
So that knocks my theory straight out of the window >dum< .
How is oh knee June got 2 of them to look forward to yet yike*

He had one done 2yrs ago and the latest one was in Jan this year after waiting nearly a year on the list. The knee got to the point of giving way and him falling. He has been very good doing as told by pysio and has recovered very very well. Not even using a stick now unless on his feet for a long time. I hope yours don't have to get too bad before they are done Bill )t' . I've had 2 hip replacements and have arthritic spine, so the allotment got a bit neglected last year although I did what I could and it was kept tidy.
I usually look after the fruit and him the veg. Needless to say, I bought a lot last year.