Wedding cake....

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Wedding cake....

Post by manda »

I got to make a wedding cake a couple of weekends ago for friends of ours....Aaron is my hubby's hunting buddy (hubby was his best man). His granny (Bobby) made the cakes (she's made her famous fruit cake for all the children and grandchildren....I got to decorate the cake...I was terrified !!! {rofwl}

Aaron works in forestry management so his (now) wife asked if they could have a tree stump.....
...the plaque well I wanted something to show the date ...and I sneakied in a fairy door (which is kind of my signature on cakes)
...the butterflies well the two on top are meant to represent Aaron and Michelle and are my fondant version of the NZ Red Admiral
...the two smaller ones her bridesmaids are made up but in Teal which was the colour of their dresses.
They added some Sphagnum Moss around it when it was out on display which I thought looked really lovely..

It was a fabulous day (it was absolutely boiling and the cicadas were clicking away loudly...we had a fabulous weekend and I found a new adopted granny....she is the most amazing woman in her 80's - told me all about her life when she was younger (sheesh it sounds like it was hard...NZ wouldn't have had that much in the way of roads and facilities back in the day).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
saint-spoon

Re: Wedding cake....

Post by saint-spoon »

Toptastic cake. :-D
Bah Humbug
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Treemendous )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Absolutely fantastic Manda - I know I have said this before, but you have a real talent for cake decorating. {hug}

I would have been really stumped +f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Aww that's lovely, and nice to be able to do something so different.

Know what you mean about pressure though. You know you can do it but that doesn't help. I have had major problrms sourcing icing sugar of all things, the stuff here is coarse and doesn't behave as it should.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Fab Manda, as always )t'
[center][/center]Davina
manda

Post by manda »

Thank you I wasn't sure if I wood be able to do it ...Oh come on {rofwl} {rofwl}

tosca100 wrote:Aww that's lovely, and nice to be able to do something so different.

Know what you mean about pressure though. You know you can do it but that doesn't help. I have had major problems sourcing icing sugar of all things, the stuff here is coarse and doesn't behave as it should.

Have you got a blender or a coffee grinder? .....I wonder if it hasn't been milled as much...

Failing that normal sugar in a blender and if the tastes not quite right try adding 1 to 1 1/4 tablespoons of corn starch for each cup of sugar (because most commercial icing sugar has a little cornstarch added).....I often make my own because I can't justify travelling into town if it's all I've forgotten.

I've got a glass thingy on my blender so it's OK but just be careful if you've got a plastic blender because the sugar will soon scratch it....don't know if that's any help tosca.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thats brilliant Manda, I really dont know how you do it envy}}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Thanks manda, will try the cornstarch thing as one of the problems with my blender is that it clogs on the sides and I have to keep moving it down. I have never got it fine enough.

Who would have thought something like ordinary icing sugar could be so important?
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What an unusual wedding cake - so personal and appropriate.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire