Potato Growning

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

Potato Growning

Post by Phoenix82 »

Do I need seed potatoes or will any potatoes that are starting to chit do?
I have a rigid plastic container that has drainage holes in the bottom (It was actually the old recycling box) that I'm thinking of using as a planter-would it suffice?
Thank you
Wife of one,Mum of two.
5 assorted Pekin Bantams,1 White star,1 Bluebell,1 Black Rock Hybrid
1 Lurcher,1 old Tom,1 Tabby Cat
Desperate for some Indian Runners!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Potato Growning

Post by lancashire lass »

Ideally you should get certified seed - potatoes are susceptible to so many diseases such as viruses which may be present in the supermarket tubers and which can develop during growth. You might get lucky, then again you might not - is it worth the risk? Seed potatoes are not that expensive.

As for containers - it is possible but you would need a deep one and keep it well watered especially when the plants start to flower and up until they are ready to crop. Main crop potatoes are not suitable as they need a lot more root room (I think I know what size container you mean so I'll hazard a guess of maybe one or two potatoes for that pot) You could grow first early potatoes (new potato type) which do not need much space (in the ground they would be planted 12 inches apart in each direction, second earlies about 15-18 inch, rows of 12 inches apart, main crop about 18-24 inches, rows of 18 inches)
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

Post by Phoenix82 »

Thank you for the insight,They have an offer on seed potatoes at our local garden centre. I was looking yesterday which got me thinking-hence the question. I have seen them for sale in Poundland too!
Wife of one,Mum of two.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Phoenix82 wrote:Thank you for the insight,They have an offer on seed potatoes at our local garden centre. I was looking yesterday which got me thinking-hence the question. I have seen them for sale in Poundland too!

Poundland ones are ok ,you don't get many for your £1 but for growing in tubs where you only want 2or3 in each tub they are ideal,you can also buy the bags for growing them in at the same place .Put 3to4 in of compost in tub or bag ,place your poatatoes on top then another 3to4 in add more compost as the green shoots grow till bag nearly full harvest after flowering >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Our local hardware shop has big sacks of various sorts, you can pick and mix, so I got enough earlies to plant a couple of rows (Sharpes Express), and more maincrop (Edwards). A couple of Kilos for under £3. The Aran Pilots had sold out though, I could have got a 2k bag from the garden centre but that was too many. Our garden centre had 2k bags and bags of 10 potatoes - but not AP (I didn't even want 10, 5 maybe).

Was reading about research into GM Desire spuds that have genes from wild Mexican spuds and resist blight. Might be better than a lot of spraying.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

Post by Phoenix82 »

I set my Potatoes away yesterday,in a bag from Poundland. What a lovely feeling it was :-D I did then feel a strong urge to start digging up the Garden to plant more Veg! I do have a little project in mind for the weekend though..
Wife of one,Mum of two.