Baker's cyst

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
julie62
Legendary Laner

Baker's cyst

Post by julie62 »

Never heard of this until a couple of weeks ago but boy have I now.

I've got an arthritic knee and despite an op last year to tidy things up it has been getting increasingly painful again. Had a steroid injection a few weeks ago and it didn't make much difference tbh. The pain got worse and worse - terrible pain in my calf. Anyway in work about ten days ago and it was excruciating - couldn't put my foot on the floor and my leg swelled up like a balloon ... and then the bruising started - looks like a map of the world.

Various visits to A and E ... they thought I had a DVT had to give myself blood thinning injections for a few days yike* Anyway after a couple of scans which were n't completely conclusive they now think they can see a bakers cyst near my ankle ... also pretty sure I had one rupture in my calf hence the bruising/swelling/pain.

Apparently they form in the knee because of the arthritis problems and can work their way down the leg. Discharged today from the emergency assessment unit so back to the GP next week and I guess I'll have to be referred to the orthopaedic folks again. Maybe they'll give me a new knee now .. keep saying I'm too young but there comes a point surely where they have to make a decision to do something other than pain relief.

Hey ho .. could be worse .. at least it wasn't a thrombosis.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Baker's cyst

Post by fabindia »

Hi Julie

Can sympathise , as Mrs Fab had/has a Baker's cyst. Not pleasant. At first I thought it was named after the profession, like 'housemaid's knee' but apparently is named after the doctor who first diagnosed the condition.
Michael
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, sounds horrible. {hug} Hope you get it sorted soon
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I've not heard of a Baker's cyst before but it sounds awful. You should be able to have a knee replacement whatever your age if you are in lots of pain. OH had one in Jan, so I know how bad it can be in the knee. I hope you don't have to wait until you are unable to walk before doing something about it.
Shame the injection didn't work for you. I had one in the base of my arthritic thumb on Wednesday and that hasn't worked either.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I'm really going to push for one this time - I need to see my GP to refer me back to orthopaedics - they discarged me after the athroscopy last year. They couldn't refer me back at the hospital with all the changes to funding etc - has to be done through the GP now. I do think the NHS is on the whole a wonderful thing but I dont think they always take pain seriously - maybe until you suffer from pain all the time you just dont realise how debilitating (and depressing) it can be. Also I've had to take time off work again and that's always a worry however understanding your employee is ... oh hum ... sure it will resolve itself eventually.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Glad you are determined to get the help you need Julie. I was saying the same thing about pain to my OH only yesterday. However qualified a person is, until they have suffered the same type of pain they have no idea what it is like.
What always annoys me, is when you have to tick a box, gauging your pain from 1-10. I have no idea how the guide lines to be able to answer this.
Sometimes you do have to push to get what you are entitled to and I hope you do as quickly as possible. Remembering of course that this treatment usually has long waiting lists. Good luck {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.