Rats tunnelling in the compost bin

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Poppys posse
Learner Laner

Rats tunnelling in the compost bin

Post by Poppys posse »

Has anyone else had a problem with rats tunnelling in their compost bins? When I moved to this house 6 years ago there was a rat run across all the gardens, so the nice Pest man paid a visit and all was fine. I have noticed that something is tunnelling up through the compost bin and the dog is suddenly fascinated by the bin and the underneath of the shed. I could understand it, if there was vegetation in the bin, but its sawdust and chicken poop. Any ideas how I prevent this happening? I have chooks, and keep their run clean, bring food in etc. I'm assuming its rats, so looks like I need the rat man to remove Roland :?
Maggie1

Re: Rats tunnelling in the compost bin

Post by Maggie1 »

We're up high and never had them before. I think the flooding has pushed them up here. About a fortnight ago we had about 6-8 and little ones. They were running about in the run (the girls was just watching them even the cockerel) and they were in the Polytunnel. We bought rat poison and traps and touchwood we haven't seen any for about 4 days now. Our girls don't free-range as we have so many foxes
Perhaps they are after the sawdust for their nests.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Put some weld mesh under the bin, get ratty out first! :-D
Rats will eat just about anything including chicken poo when they are hungry, also makes a cosy place to rear their young.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have often had this problem, and I'm afraid that, much as I don't like to, I resort to poison.

The compost is warm and tasty, so an ideal place for them }hairout{ I believe that if you are diligent and turn your compost often (I dont!) that the rats wont like that.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Poppys posse
Learner Laner

Post by Poppys posse »

Thanks all. I did have wire under it - but removed it cos I kept catching the fork in it :? . I have turned it, but I think the rat run is under it. Don't want to use poison because of the dog and birds. Glad I'm not the only one. Seriously thinking of getting rid of the bin, but might move it somewhere else first - just hope there isn't a rat under when I do yike*
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

I kept catching the fork in it
Use a spade )t'
Without a physical barrier you won't stop them. :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

fishpond wrote:Put some weld mesh under the bin, get ratty out first! :-D
Rats will eat just about anything including chicken poo when they are hungry, also makes a cosy place to rear their young.

Weld mesh, what a clever idea (Another job for the w/e) We have used traps but not too successful. Have read somewhere that they are becoming immune to poison. It is such a problem.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

My Rats just made a home underneath the old Freezer with the chicken feed inside!!!
They then ate through the aluminium base taking out a bin bag full of Polystyrene in the process.

Clever so and so's !!

They aren't there anymore, to be honest there's no beating them, I just try to make life more difficult for them.

I know Helen doesn't have cats, but the last time I used Poison, about three years ago, Big Ron caught a rat and was vomiting constantly for about three days, took him to Vet and the Vet who know's I keep chickens asked me if I'd put Rat Poison down anywhere! so watch that one.

The other favourite place is deep under bonfires.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

rats like it nice and dry - so why not pour lots of water on to the compost and saturate it (it will decompose quicker if damp anyway, and come spring will soon dry off)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Absolutely Lassie, I put my hose down the holes !!

Number 11 Bus !!! :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote:Number 11 Bus

Richard

???????
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

'There'll be another one coming in a minute' (The No.11 Bus Route basically goes from West to East London and they just come along one after the other, or none for a while then 'they all come at once' - in the Conductor days, that's what they'd usually say if it was full up) :-D

Speaking of Big Ron and the rat poison, it is also dangerous to Chickens. If they find a dead rat, they will usually eat it.

A sign of a poisoned Chicken is usually bright green poo (could also be Worms and other things, so always wise to check with a Vet).
Green Poo + drinking a lot + eating less + lethargic could be poisoning.

Richard )t'
Poppys posse
Learner Laner

Post by Poppys posse »

Thank everyone for the great advice. I did laugh at the hosepipe suggestion, because I can see the entrance to the tunnel and I have poured loads of water down it and soaked the bin, in fact the lid is permanently off :-D I wouldn't go down the poison route, as you say Richard too many risks. Looks like I need to move it, put more weldmesh under and use a spade....oh and get a cat {rofwl} Not sure the dog would like that though. My feed is in a metal dustbin so better keep an eye out for hole :-D