Knitting Update

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
julie62
Legendary Laner

Knitting Update

Post by julie62 »

Finished my fair isle cardigan - first knitting project I've steeked - this is when you knit it in the round and then cut the knitting - so in this case I cut up the front and then pick up and knit the border and buttonhole edging. It was nowhere near as complicated as it looks - very chuffed with it :-D

And this is when I cut the steek up the front (scary) it's reinforced with crochet to help stop it unravelling.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Knitting Update

Post by Mo »

It does look complicated. Is there an advantage to knitting it round?
You must be pleased with yourself.
My limit was strippy vests for black babies (missionary hospitals) that I used to knit on the way to schools. And even them I sometimes started going the wrong way if I had to change trains in the middle of a row.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

)b( )b( )b(

Wow!!! That is simply amazing Julie. I love the colours and even though you say it wasn't complicated, it is certainly way beyond anything I could achieve as I just wouldn't have the concentration needed.

Well done you )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Thank you - the advantage of knitting in the round, especially with two colours is that you dont have to purl. Every round is a knit round and you get stocking stitch - its like magic. I think purling with two colours would be quite difficult. It's the way the norwegians and people in the Shetlands tend to knit - one of the great things about the internet is that it opens you up to traditions from around the world. A lot of traditional English patterns tend to be knit in sections and sewn together - I hate the sewing up bit so I love doing stuff thats knit in the round with minimal sewing at the end.
Julie

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Crumbs Julie, that is absolutely amazing, stunning. )t'
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Wow, that is fabulous! )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Julie that is such an achievement. I only think of socks being knitted in a round and although you say it's not, sounds complicated. Is it weighty to hold when knitted this way? Back to the cardi, lovely pattern and colours, something to be proud of. )app( )app(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

When you knit on a large circular needle it takes a lot of the weight away because it kind of sits of your lap rather than on the needles so you dont notice the weight. :-D
Julie

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Quite aside from the fact I am not accomplished at knitting, I don't think I could even contemplated cutting through such wonderful work to put the buttons in >dum<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Absolutely stunning!!! The only knitting I can do is to knit a few lines to make flower corsage brooches. I joke not when I say it took me 9 months to knit a friend a pair of baby bootees!!! :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh my goodness that is FANTASTIC work! I have knitted for more years than I care to remember but I could never contemplate something like that! I have heard of steeking but would never be brave enough to try it especially with such an amazing piece of work like that. Well done you )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow that is absolutely amazing, well done you, such a pretty cardigan )t' )b(