Germination and light.

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Germination and light.

Post by Thomassio »

Hi all, I have a question >shrug<

In a bid to get a full season growing in, and an imminent house move, I have decided to start a bunch of seeds of in a propagator.....sort of.
I have a tray of small pots (40) that fits perfectly in the bottom of a large clear plastic storage box. It's not completely clear, I guess it's opaque. My question is this....it has a black lid, will this be ok, or will they need more light? If so, I will give the top a few layers of cling film. Do they need ventilation?
The things I'm looking at starting;
Spring onions
Carrots
Beetroot
Peas
Mange tout
Pak-choi

Thanks a lot.

Thom
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: Germination and light.

Post by fishpond »

They will need light, else "if" they germinate they will be weak, leggy and of no use. :-D
If you do not ventilate they wil probably die, caused by damping off. :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks fishpond that's exactly what I was after. Are all the above ok to be started indoors in small pots, obviously I will transport them into bigger pots and eventually raised beds as they grow.
Do they need light and good ventilation from the very start or only once/if they break the surface of the soil?

Thanks again.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Thomassio wrote:Thanks fishpond that's exactly what I was after. Are all the above ok to be started indoors in small pots, obviously I will transport them into bigger pots and eventually raised beds as they grow.

Thanks again.

Personally, I would sow carrots and beetroot directly into the ground, but if needs must, do it, but do not expect show stoppers.
"Do they need light and good ventilation
from the very start

Yes
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Please don't think I'm knocking your enthusiasm but personally, sowing early in my opinion has more drawbacks than good points. The only thing I'd consider from your list at this time of year would be the spring onions, and maybe the pak choi.

Peas, mangetout, beetroot and carrots would be much better sown direct during warm spring sunshine (we are still mid winter in the gardening calendar) - they will germinate and grow quickly with no check on growth which can happen when planting out, and into strong healthy and productive plants.