anyone tried making nettle tea?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

anyone tried making nettle tea?

Post by kitla »

Lately we've got hooked on Blackberry & Nettle teabags, it makes a refreshing
change from the usual sometimes, I've also read that Nettles have lots of health
benefits. So I thought it would be interesting to try making the real thing.
Has anyone tried this? if so how did you do it (fresh or dried)? and did you mix
it with berries or anything?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: anyone tried making nettle tea?

Post by albertajune »

I've never made nettle tea, but as they are free to pick, just experiment with them. I would think that adding berry fruits would be quite nice as nettle doesn't really have much flavour. I have cooked them like spinach, just using the young leaves and they are very good.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well so far I've found recipes advising to pick the first young nettles, some say to
boil them for a few minutes, others to steep but not boil, and if you squeeze a lemon
into the nettle water it apparently turns pink! The tea bags we use have other things
in - orange peel, rosehips & natural flavourings, so I may need to experiment.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I enjoy nettle tea (the teabag style stuff from the supermarket). Given that it is quite expensive and that the garden has a large patch of nettles I thought I'd try my own. I made it with green young tips and I found it absolutely horrible. It tasted 'green'. Maybe it was OK but just not what I expected but I won't be trying it again. I did intend to dry some leaves and see if that was any better but never got round to it.
Happy experimenting.