Finished! Phew!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Finished! Phew!

Post by albertajune »

I think that you Helen are so inspiring. I have a sister who always praises me and says to others, that I can do lots of things, but she can't . She has never tried and won't try. I think that you Helen, show that even if something hasn't been done before, with a bit of patience and determination, lots of things are doable. From your first attempts that you showed us on here, you are now doing work that many of us would love to own. I am so pleased for you. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you so much June {hug} I know I have said this before, but I have no idea why I kept on trying for so long after so many disasters!!!

Must tell you something funny. Yesterday took my grandchildren to Raystede, a local animal rescue centre. Every single cat pen had crochet blankets as bedding and all I could think was 'all that work!! yike*'

Much as I love animals, I hope mine end up being handed down through the family, rather than as pet bedding! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

It's lovely - I do love crochet blankets - I've got a great big box full of odds and sods of stylecraft - must use it up this year with another blanket ... been doing so much knitting recently I've neglected my crochet - the last one I did I used the join as you go method and it was great - a lot less sewing in at the end!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I did think about joining as I went Julie - not something I have tried yet. It is a lot of work weaving in the ends, but I do love the finish of sewing the squares together. Mind you, I would still have as many ends even if joining as I went I think?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I usually crochet squares together, you hold the squares with the wrong sides together and then DC using just the back of the loops so it isn't too bulky a join. I think some of my work has ended up as pet blankets :-D Here's one I finished recently, I was given most of the squares and just had to join them, this one has gone to Hand in Hand for Syria ...

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I really like the different granny squares in your blanket - I have only really done a couple of designs before. I made a new one last eve (awful colours but just trying it!) and am thinking of making a sampler type blanket. I want to try the ones with the holes like yours. Also I would like to get a few colours in cotton rather than acrylic.

I quite liked this (NOT the orange {rofwl} and I don't usually use yellow either ) but the square ended up bigger than I thought it would. Unfortunately the pattern was quite rubbish (and it was one of a few out of a proper crochet book featured in a magazine }hairout{ )

Having been so mortified about the cat blankets, I have to admit that this MAY go to a Bailey blanket {rofwl}
Helen xx

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I quite like that pattern :-D
Most of the squares were made by other people I just joined them up. Here is a cushion I made from squares taken from Jan Eaton's 200 crochet blocks book, lost to chose from there )t'

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

OOOhhh - that's lovely. I especially love the middle square - I've not tried anything like that.

It was really weird that you mentioned that book as I bought it right at the beginning of my crochet journey, and had a bit of a disaster with a square, but today returned to it and started another square with bobbles.

It is very easy really, but I just cant seem to count stitches or get straight edges >dum< I have come to the conclusion I am just a muppet {rofwl}
Helen xx

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

not sure how someone who van make such fab crochet blankets can call themselves a muppet! you are far better than me at it :-D

Hope you enjoy using the book, although I found that some came out bigger than others - the 4 corner squares would have been way too big if I'd followed the pattern, unless I read it wrong :? that's probably more like it..... {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think they are all too big for my liking. I am trying to scale down the bobble square now I know how to do it. Looks ok so far!
Helen xx

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Its beautiful Helen )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/