Cake in advance - any ideas please!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Cake in advance - any ideas please!

Post by tortzblue »

Hi. I have been "volunteered" to make a diamond anniversary cake for the in-laws. (Thank you dear Mr Tortzblue)
The trouble is,
1 - I'm away on holiday the week before.
2 - Don't get back till the eve of the party.
3 - Never made such a big celebration cake before (about 25 -30 people's worth)
Has anyone got any good, easy (if poss) recipes and decorating thoughts that could be done in advance? Is that even an option? Please say it is! I've looked into ordering one but prices are yike*
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Cake in advance - any ideas please!

Post by tosca100 »

Gosh, what timing. Unless you want to make a fruit cake or cherry and almond, you may have to freeze it ready for when you get home. I would keep it very simple as far as icing goes and just roll out marzipan (if you want it) and fondant icing on the day, or stick the fondant on with buttercream fo a sponge. It might be a bit sticky to cut but needs must. For decorating, if you can pipe words do it before you go away, on a fondant plaque, so it can be just put on the cake last minute without having to rush. A nice ribbon with crystals, order a small white posy for the top, or make one before you go away with silk flowers.

Keep it simple, do as much as you can before you go away and enjoy your trip.

Next!
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You can also buy marzipan and icing ready-rolled. Which is what I did for my daughter's wedding cake.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The only way to have it ready before, is to make a rich fruit cake. Otherwise the suggestions above can't be bettered. If you do make a lighter type cake and freeze it, don't forget to have someone take it out of the freezer before you get home, to defrost it for decorating.
I personally wouldn't want to have to decorate as soon as I arrive home, so would go for a fruit cake that contains something like brandy. Something like a Christmas cake. This will then keep well in a container for a good month and can be decorated before you go away. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Brilliant, you clever ladies! I think I will go with the boozy fruit cake, ready rolled marzipan and icing, silver twinkle ribbon and prob strict instructions to Mr T to plonk a silk flower posy and a fondant plaque on top on the day as I won't have time when I get back (Literally straight to party from Gatwick!) Thanks again )t'
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

tortzblue wrote:Brilliant, you clever ladies! I think I will go with the boozy fruit cake, ready rolled marzipan and icing, silver twinkle ribbon and prob strict instructions to Mr T to plonk a silk flower posy and a fondant plaque on top on the day as I won't have time when I get back (Literally straight to party from Gatwick!) Thanks again )t'

Brilliant. Sorted. )t' :-D
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

My wife makes cakes, they look like sh#t but they taste ok though :-D
Christmas cake from a few years ago
My sons 18th this Saturday just gone, not much change on the ability front then !

Would you like me to ask her for you ? {rofwl}
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Dave, the one with green stuff on the top and frankfurters round the edge looks ok if that's what floats your boat and the top one is perfectly set off by the festive holly even if it looks like it has already been eaten once. )w(

Cheers!
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

All made with no egg(or skill) the youngest son is allergic to them )t'
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

OOOOH YES PLEASE DAVE!
If you can scrape off the tiny holly sprig and put something twinkly on top of the two year old xmas cake, I might just about get away it. (It does look very tasty. You didn't tell us you were married to THE Mary Berry )b( )