Bearded dragons

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mad Chick

Bearded dragons

Post by Mad Chick »

Anyone keep one of these or knows a bit about them?

My 17 year old has been on and on about wanting one for a few years now and so far I have resisted. His friend keeps quite a few lizards etc and has offered him an adult male complete with full set up for free as he has got too many.

All the info I've found seems to say they are easy to look after but I just want to make sure we know what we're getting in to before I say yes.

It's the feeding of the live bugs that worries me most....
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Bearded dragons

Post by tosca100 »

They are one of the easiest and friendliest of the pet lizards and with a friend to advise on care your 17 year old should be OK with one. The biggest problem might be that he will want to go on to have something more exciting! There will be plenty of help on the internet should you/he want it.

Feeding live crickets there is always going to be the chance that one or two will end up on the loose but the worst that will mean is that you will hear it about the house briefly. Pretend you are on holiday in a warm country! They eat a lot of veg too.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

We had one for a while, yes crickets escape and yes it's annoying {mr.angry}
As for the dragon, loved it to bits :-D
We mainly fed locusts for live food, we got a small fish tank to house the locusts in they are quite entertaining themselves.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Cool, thank you :-D

I've been to visit him today and he's really lovely - he sat on my shoulder whilst we had a cup of tea. Still not sure about the feeding bugs bit though, I don't DO bugs - but that will be Alex's job.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

Mad Chick wrote:Cool, thank you :-D

I've been to visit him today and he's really lovely - he sat on my shoulder whilst we had a cup of tea.

Does he take sugar ?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

My daughter has one (Derek).

Very placid and sits on your chest with no probs.

If you need to know anything, my daughter is very well up on them.
If you wanted I can get her to be a friend on facebook and you can private message her, or sort something out with email.

[center]Image[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sara

Post by Sara »

envy}}

I would love one ... My friend is reptile mad, she has all sorts of lizards and dragons and snakes... Maybe one day! Go for it Lucy )grin2(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We are picking him up on Sunday afternoon :-D

Alex has decided to rename him as evidently they don't come to their names(!!!), he's going to call him Puff (the Magic Dragon). I was hoping to go for either Rodney or Malcolm...

Now he's trying to talk me into breeding our own cockroach colony! That will NEVER happen in my house )run(
Lucy x

Sara

Post by Sara »

Yayyy )c( )c( )c(

I think malcom is a good name.... Or Harold... Harold is quite a noble name for a dragon )w(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Puff arrived yesterday )c(

Never leave teenagers to make arrangements as it appears that the vivarium he was coming with is not the one I saw him in. He looks a bit sad in this small one and I don't think the lighting and heat are adequate either so am now researching new vivs...

I'll post some photo's later )t'
Lucy x

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Watch those Crickets and Locuts don't jump out - you'll hear them for days and not find them - then there's bath time in the Kitchen Sink, always good that one :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hahaha! Alex and I bought a special little tank to keep the crickets in today...

It was all going fine until the moment came to transfer the crickets from their plastic tub into the tank. We tried catching them with feeding tongs to transfer them but they were so fast, it was taking ages. Then we decided to just quickly tip them in and get the lid on as fast as possible - within seconds there were crickets jumping all everywhere and Alex and I were both screaming like banshees {rofwl}

I don't like crickets. Luckily Puff seems to and has eaten quite a few of them today )eat(
Lucy x

tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/