Very poorly dog

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
p.penn

Re: Very poorly dog

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, so sorry to hear Nation is poorly. {hug}

Fingers crossed for a full recovery >mmm<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sorry to hear your little dog not feeling well.

Hope Nation is feeling better soon. {hug}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Everything firmly crossed here for a speedy and full recovery. Bless her and you Spreckly, these animals get into the corners of our hearts and it is so upsetting when they are ill. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't think poison would show as a dark shadow on a scan....maybe wrong though.
Does sound as though she has eaten some thing silly. If so, the sooner it is out the better.
Gentle hugs to her and {hug} {hug} to you.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all again for your concern. One of the worst things for me is that our vet's practice has no staff living in, so for the first time in her life, Nation was on her own overnight. A nurse was going in overnight to check on her, and give her pain relief, but I don't like the thought of her being on her own!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi, Spreckly, just wondering how Nation and you are getting on and to let you know I am still thinking of you. {hug} {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Keeping everything crossed that Nation perks up soon {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Nation was stable after yesterday's surgery - to remove a hazelnut in its shell, but the vet was concerned about the intestine, which has become diseased, and had to be partially removed.

This morning she was brighter, and we were hopeful, but I have just spoken to the vet, who told me that she has been sick after a small amount of food, which is not a good sign. He is talking about re-operating, and says that he would do so if she were his dog.

I am unsure what to decide. The poem "May I go now?" keeps repeating itself in my mind. OH thinks it is time to let Nation go, but I just don't know, she is my own beloved pet.

I have spoken to my friend, who bred our previous sheltie, and she says she would go with what the vet says.

As always, I stopped the pet insurance last year, and I think my bill will already be in four figures, so it depends also how deep our pockets are. We are going to see Nation at 3.10 this afternoon, and will discuss the fearful options. yesterday after her op we went to see her, it was so lovely to be able to stroke her again.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh dear. At least you have the initial problem removed. Makes you wonder why they didn't remove the diseased bit while they were there. Maybe they couldn't
If you can afford it and she still has a good quality life left I would go for it.
But you sometimes have to weigh up the pro's and con's. If she is old for her breed and will suffer for a lot of that time then you need your sensible head on.
So sorry that you have to make a horrible decision. hopefully she has perked up so much later, when you see her. You won't have to make any decisions .
{hug} {hug} {hug}

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Wendy - the vet did remove the diseased bit yesterday, but he said how narrow the intestine is, and that the area he operated on is attached to ligaments.

This afternoon (forgive me if I repeat myself), I have spoken with Nation's breeder, and also a friend who bred one of our other shelties. They both say go with the vet's advice.

So we have been to the vet, spent time discussing the situation, and the upshot is that we took Nation in our car to the vet in Bridlington, about eleven miles away. It is a group practice, and in the morning our vet will assess Nation, and decided whether to go for further surgery or not.

She was really dowly at the first vets, but with Ted took her out of there to our car, and again when he took her out of the car in Bridlington, she perked up, eyes everywhere.

We wait and see what tomorrow brings. I have said if deterioration occurs I need to know immediately. Also we can visit tomorrow, which is good.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Sending you big hugs Spreckly {hug} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
wendy

Post by wendy »

>fi< All will work out well.
Sending all my good wishes for you all
{hug} {hug}

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your concern and good wishes. Have spoken with the surgery nurse, who says Nation had sat up and wagged her tail, and that she was brighter than when admitted this afternoon. My next phone call is at 9.45pm with the nurse who visits overnight.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have lost the battle for Nation. She was put to sleep a short while since.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh Spreckly, I am so sorry {hug} {hug&kiss}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com