Finishing wood

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Finishing wood

Post by albertajune »

I am in the middle of stripping down a pine dresser that has been previously painted. What I have done has come up really good and the wood looks as new. I need advice as to the best way to give it a finish, keeping it the pine colour.
I had thought of sealing it first with varnish diluted with white spirit and then a couple of coats of clear varnish. Is there a better way and if not, what type of varnish should I use?
All advice gratefully received. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Finishing wood

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Depends on what finish you want.
Do you want a new pine look or antique look or a light or dark pine colour?
Do you want a gloss or satin look to it?
You can go for varnish, clear for a new pine look or one with a tint that is to your liking and decide on shiney or mellow looking. Most varnishes are water based now, so diluting with a little water helps it sink right into the wood.
You can get brush on wax in varying shades that you allow to dry and then buff up, applying as many coats as you want, for an antique look.
The world is your eggcup really dependingon what end result you want.
Hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

What I would do is... give it a coat of sanding sealer, available from DIY shops or online from screwfix etc. Once that is dry rub it over with scotchbright, wipe off the dust and you're good to go. Briwax do an excellent range of wood polishes, you cash put them on with a shoe brush and buff it up with a cloth. To my mind waxing is easier than varnishing because it doesn't leave brush marks. The sanding sealer thing is important though, it binds the wood fibers together and protects the wood, lightly rubbing over with scotchbright keys the surfaces an helps the top coats to stick.
Bah Humbug
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks both of you for your very detailed and very understandable replies. I need to have a good read again of both and then decide. I will go for a more mellow look rather than a just bought one of new pine and will take the constructive advice that has been given about sealing. Thanks guys )t'
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Hi June
Agree to a degree with SS, didn't use scotch bright, used wire wool.
If I could get some help to post a photograph, I will post it.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

fishpond wrote:Hi June

If I could get some help to post a photograph, I will post it.

You need to copy the photo's URL and then click the "Img" button at the top and paste the photo's URL in the gap between the two sets of brackets.
Depending on which photo hosting site you use there are one click options for copying the URL.
Hope that makes and isn't pure gibberish.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Hi Dom
I tend to keep my photographs on hard drives and memory sticks, I have also been known to do some basic editing in Picasa.
Probably no use to you at all.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Personally, I would use clear Wax applied with wire wool as Fishpond said, you will find that over time it will mellow, if you want a mellow finish straight away, then go for a Wax with an antique pine stain or the like! )t' . I've no need to tell you June, preparation is key!, the smoother the wood the better the finish, good luck )t' , and post some pics!!..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for all the input which is really helpful. The unit that I have stripped down, is the bottom half of a dresser that is used in my kitchen. It has a melamine work surface on the top and gets a lot of use. I like the idea of wax but wonder if it will be as serviceable as varnish for the odd wiping down that it has at times, ie the cutlery drawer can get a bit dirty if pushed shut instead of using the knob, as do the cupboards. With paint I've just wiped it over.
OH thought it looked alright as was, but it was looking a bit tatty. As I'm finding my DIY a bit harder now, I'm trying to make things a bit more trouble free for the future. )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Dirt and grime would wipe off a wax finish but would need to be polished for the finish to retain it's look.
If that is a chore you wish to avoid then go for a tinted satin finish varnish.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Please excuse all the bits and pieces on the dresser, picture was taken in a bit of a rush.
I will look for a before picture as well.
It had 7 coats of paint, finished in a yukki green, the drawer runners were shot and handles and hinges were either broken or not the correct ones for the period.
It went from being a piece of firewood to a desirable and useful piece of kitchen furniture.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Fabulous Fishpond!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

jemberelli wrote:Fabulous Fishpond!

Would be, if I could remember how I posted the after picture so I can post the before picture. }hairout{ {rofwl}
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JQVb ... .JPG?gl=GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

No, the water bottle is not mine, neither is all the crockery. {rofwl}

I took pity on you Fishpond...Dom :-D
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What a fabulous job you have made of your dresser Fishpond. I guess that you waxed it rather than varnish, so will go that way.
Thanks again Dom. I don't mind the waxing to keep it looking good. I didn,t realise that it would be wipeable. I took of the paint as I didn't want to keep sanding and painting to keep it looking smart. Now that I'm an older lady, I want the easy way of doing things.
Glad you put up the pic Fishpond as it made up my mind for me. If it looks as good as yours I will be well pleased. :-D