POLYTUNNEL

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Re: POLYTUNNEL

Post by Chookaholic »

straight into the ground? Never thought of that Maggie , thankyou
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Just keep them well watered as it does get blooming hot in there.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

)c( congrats chookaholic! Instead of a new thread, I thought I would just ask a couple of questions in this one, hope that's ok......so I'm clear on the benefits of a polytunnel for peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc but could anyone give me an idea of how long they can extend a season for? Also, where should I start looking for well priced tunnels or green houses besides eBay?
Thanks. Thom.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We are eating strawberries late April and we still have got the end of Chinese lettuce and Kale. We let it go last year due to OH little inconvenience but at the moment as well as the latter I have 8 rows of daffs and the sweet peas which was left from last year have scrambled to the top of the arch. We are usually still picking tomatoes and salad stuff at least October.
It all depends where you are. Are you in UK. We are in Eire and got ours from Belfast
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

try Amazon - that's where I got mine. It's one of those (25mm) stainless steel framed one with a green cover over the top. The other bits you'll need are hot spot tape and anchors which I found cheaper on e-bay (mine came too late but I used tent pegs and after all this stormy weather this winter, shows how effective they were). This topic from last year had lots of advice which I found very helpful when deciding to buy a polytunnel

The season depends on what you are growing - tender plants really shouldn't go in a polytunnel until it is much warmer as it is not well insulated especially with night temperatures. However, in summer they can get very warm in the sun and suits heat loving plants like chillies, peppers, aubergines and tomatoes.
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

I dont mind Thomassio : ask what you like :-D

I too got mine at Amazon and saved myself a small fortune

I forgot about anchors thankyou for that LL though i do have some concrete thatll probably be used to make sure it doesnt move
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

my Polytunnel is here! I m so happy ! Been buying seeds and looking for shelving all day )c( )c( )c(
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Good now you can get started. I went down to mine as I've been working out in the garden for most of the day. When I opened it the heat hit me, its 28 in there. So you can imagine what temperature it hits in the summer.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We got our polytunnel at the end of last season in the sale; it's 2m x 4m. consequently, I've had to be very patient.

I've now got several trays of seeds germinating in there (hopefully) and in the raised bed that OH made down one side I've got some early salad stuff but that's where the peppers etc will go.

I hadn't thought of putting things like sweet peas in - but how lovely would that be.

We lost almost our entire chicken setup in the recent gales, but the polytunnel was fine. The skirt is in a trench, but no concrete. We've got open fields behind the garden and the wind was clocked at 70mph so we are very pleased that it is still standing
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Our tunnel is 14x30 ft so is quite big. We have a path down the middle. That where we put the arch over and the sweet peas. I haven't planted any yet but last years stragglers are to the top of the arch already. I shall start some new ones soon in case the old ones come to nothing. My daffs which I alternate with the tomatoes are nearly finished but I have been having them since just after Christmas.
I shall more than likely start sewing seeds next week as they seem to come on very quickly in the tunnel