Some interesting ideas from Oz

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Some interesting ideas from Oz

Post by kitla »

my sister lives in Australia, she's recently started keeping chooks and has joined
group that organise visits to more experienced chicken keepers, to see how they
do things & pick up tips and new ideas. Most of them are keen gardeners too, and
something a few of them do is make a compost heap in the run so the chickens
do all the turning. My sister wants to make a rotational veg patch/chicken run like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHcL2fFQO54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some great ideas (if you have the room)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Some interesting ideas from Oz

Post by jemberelli »

At my previous house our compost bins were in the girls' run - they did all the work, added their own special something (!) and the compost was amazing!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

jemberelli wrote:At my previous house our compost bins were in the girls' run - they did all the work, added their own special something (!) and the compost was amazing!

tell me more, how deep were they? were they wood framed or wire?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

They were wooden, made from old shed and formed part of the run. There were 2 side by side with slots on the front to slot the planks in so the height could be adjusted. What a rubbish description, have just found an old photo which will be a lot better...!

Hope that helps )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Looks brilliant jemberelli. I like the idea of the 'deep litter' method for my coming run although doubt it will be as successful as this idea!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

what a great idea, how tall did you let it get? I presume the chooks can only turn
the top part so it cant get too tall, but if there's not enough in there it wont compost
(not that I know much about composting >dum< )
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

It didn't really get much above half way. I would use one side to put my kitchen stuff in and every couple of months turn it into the other side so I always had one side 'cooking' and one side in use so to speak...