Pallets (or other) for raised beds

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Pallets (or other) for raised beds

Post by Richard »

I usually grow my Carrots in plastic tubs, some years OK., other years not.

The old barn around the back has loads of old fruit boxes (what you see is about a third) and it suddenly dawned on me to use them as raised beds. Very similar to Pallet wood. I've been using them for kindling mostly except a gate I built last year.

It took a sledgehammer, crowbar, and dicey moments clambering to find the good ones, but I got one out and even used the same nails !

So, here is my Carrot Raised bed !

[center]Image[/center]

I did a google and similar height / width would be around the £45 mark. It took me less than an hour to build.

Bad news is....why didn't I do this before, they've been there since I moved here 13 years ago.

I shall do some more soon.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Pallets (or other) for raised beds

Post by mrs boodles »

Looking good, can`t believe the prices that are wanted to buy anything for the garden. bet yours will last a lot longer.
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

That's great and for free too. I made my raised beds for carrots out of 2 car tyres on top of each other, worked really well last season.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's a good idea Funky.

I remember on an old Gardeners World programme they used tyres for Strawberries, stacked about five high then made holes in them.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wolfe
Lively Laner

Post by wolfe »

Why do the makers of pallets insist on using ring shank nails. They are a nightmare to pull out. Any tips for getting the nails out with ease? or is that a burden I will have to bear.
Life is too short for hate, love life and the earth we live on.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

If you are making raised beds out of pallets you don't need to take them apart first, unless you want to make a super slick job of it. I just cut mine in half with a saw, removing the centre slat because they usually have an odd number of slats. Then stand them on end, slats inside. You can fill in the slats first with odd bits of wood. Nail the corners together with small pieces of wood. Mine have been in use for five years now. Don't care what they look like, they were free and do the job. :-D
Ilona
wolfe
Lively Laner

Post by wolfe »

Now that would certainly make things a lot easier, and the bits left over with the nails in go on the fire. Thank you Meanqueen, and b.t.w. I think you have done a great job and looks brill.
Life is too short for hate, love life and the earth we live on.
Richard

Post by Richard »

That is very impressive Ilona.

Richard )t' )t' )t'
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

If you're using pallets its a good idea to check that they are safe. Some are impregnated with chemicals. Just look for the stamp on them.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Great ideas )t' Richard, I love those fruit boxes, you could do so much with them )grin2(

Ive also seen them used as strawberry planters.... Just stood up and filled with compost and the plants hang out of the holes )t'

Im trying this for my squash plants this year.... Not sure how it will turn out but its worth a try {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Meanqueen - I think those upturned pallets look really smart! Be proud of them! I am definitely going to show your piccie to my hubby, we are going to create a veg garden from scratch next spring, and he had in mind to buy loads of 4x4 posts. But this would undoubtedly be cheaper, if we can get some secondhand.
ClareM
Lively Laner

Post by ClareM »

I'd like to get some pallets for compost bins....any tips on where to get them (free & legal pref!)?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Clare

Two ways really

1. Just look out for them and if they appear chucked, just take one

2. Same as 1. but if they're outside a place just ask them. Usually a lot around Business Parks and Industrial Estates.

Richard )t'
ClareM
Lively Laner

Post by ClareM »

Thanks Richard, i'm never sure if the ones around industrial estates are 'chucked' or not....but i'll try to get there whilst they're still open one day & have a word!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

We made some a couple of years ago (I thought I made a post on here somewhere, but I seem to have lost it :) )

http://s361.photobucket.com/user/ferret ... ing?sort=3

My neighbour liked the 3 tier planter, so made one for her too.