Allergic to dogs!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Allergic to dogs!

Post by KathJ »

We've never had a dog before and currently it isn't practical as we're both working full time and are out for about 9 hours each day. However, it's something we'd really like to do once we retire and have more time (not for a few years yet unfortunately :? ). The problem is I've been allergic to the dogs my bother has had over the years, some worse than others. Do you know if there would be a particular breed that maybe doesn't moult too much or maybe better for someone who has an allergy? I'd really love to get a rescue dog but I suppose with that you don't always know what you're getting >dum< I've heard that maybe being exposed to the cause you can get over the allergy, don't know if this is really true though and I'd hate to get a dog and then have to give it up because I was sneezing all the time!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
wendy

Re: Allergic to dogs!

Post by wendy »

Not certain.
But I have heard that a breed that doesn't moult some times helps.
Certainly a Poodle is amongst the breeds. I would research on line and see what they say about it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I think Bichon Friezes (sp) are non moulting too..
LYN
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Yorkies dont moult, but need a lot of grooming.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Some people seem to be allergic to just some breeds I think. We had our labrador for nearly 14yrs and my son was always fine with her and of course they do shed. A couple of years ago he and his wife got a little beagle puppy and within hours my son developed allergies to it and they had to take the puppy back and get their money back. I found it really weird as I'd have thought you are either allergic to all dogs that shed or not at all, but obviously not :?
Lyn