Fish Bone Blood Fetilizer

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Fish Bone Blood Fetilizer

Post by Richard »

Someone's just given me a large Packet.

I don't usually use Fertilizer's, just rely on Compost and sowing in appropriate 'Sowing / Potting Compost.

The instructions seem quite straight forward.

Are there any Vegetables which seem to like it more than others or are there any best left alone?

I'm spreading out my well rotted Horse Manure today which should give it a month to mix in well. Not putting any on Carrot and Onion beds though as I believe it would be too rich.

Any tips on Fish Blood Bone would be appreciated.

Cheers, Richard >veg1< >veg< >veg4<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Fish Bone Blood Fetilizer

Post by lancashire lass »

Fish blood bone fertiliser is basically an organic form of Growmore (but slightly less NPK ratio of 5 - 5.5 - 6.5. compared to Growmore: 7 - 7 - 7) and with perhaps a slow release so dig it in now before the growing season starts and then the nutrients will become available when they need it )t'

EDIT: because it is a general fertiliser, you can use it for any fruit or vegetable
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Lassie, I forgot to ask when I should put some in, but you answered that as well.

I dug in some horse manure this afternoon; Sweetcorn, French Beans, Courgettes, Runners, Broad Beans areas not in any root vegetable bits.

I'm a little worried I haven't dug in it early enough, stuff would be going in in around four weeks time.

Do you think I should turn the manure over so it's underneath?

I've heard so many do's and don'ts with it!

Richard >veg3<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:Do you think I should turn the manure over so it's underneath?

I think turning the manure into the soil would be a good idea and let the worms get to it quicker )t' Manure like compost is generally a soil improver than a major source of nutrients although those worms will do a grand job

Richard wrote:I've heard so many do's and don'ts with it!

The "don't" is using fresh manure ... but even then, you can often use it as a mulch round beans and brassicas. In my first growing year on the big plot, the manure was barely 6 months old (and very smelly) but the soil was in a very poor state so I have to confess I mixed some of it with old compost in the beds and to be honest everything grew fine . Perhaps I was lucky, or maybe because I only used a little, or the crops I grew that year (summer ones like beans, peas, courgette, sweetcorn) weren't affected much by fresh manure
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Lassie, very informative.

Richard )t' )t'