paper logs

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Yazzie
Learner Laner

paper logs

Post by Yazzie »

Hi well I am thrilled. Today has been my first full day off work for 2 weeks so I thought I would have ago of making some paper logs out of my junk mail ect. I used an old sandwich box small piece of ply board and a vice. I know it sounds a bit of mess as you can get the new ready to use gadgets( but I could not find one near to where I live to go collect). So I improvised and it really worked I have now put them in the green house to dry. I can't wait to take them for my dad to use on his fire. )t'
perchy

Re: paper logs

Post by perchy »

Well done, its a good feeling making something useful out of something already used, let us know how they go )t'
Yazzie
Learner Laner

Post by Yazzie »

It's a good feeling, my little girl has made her plan for the weekend to make more she's collected paper from our neighbours. Lol.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well done, be good to see a photo if you have one.

That's the only thing about making logs, you need loads of paper to do so!

But worth it in the end.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Last weekend I spotted a log maker on a friend's tool stall at a market, and she said she can't sell it for love nor money and gave it to me.
Now I know why - they're a pain to make! }hairout{

You need to soak the paper for two days to get the required porridge-like mush then they will take months to dry in anything but high summer. Having said that, the mould is a doddle to use and the logs themselves take two minutes at most to squish about and form, so I've made a few and will see how best to dry them later. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll stink if left by the wood burner, or attract slugs if left outside in the barn.

Do you know the daft thing? We don't buy newspapers at all and grow firewood on our own land, so I don't even need to go through this hassle ..... but it's all good fun )like(
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

Post by smallholderwannabe »

I gave up on trying to dry paper logs made from mush. Now I stuff as much paper into an envelope as it can possibly hold (to eliminate air) and burn it. I'm always surprised just how much an envelope will hold. These burn quite well and I don't have the mush ones sitting around forever to dry.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Talk about simple yet genius )t'
Stuffing envelopes must be the cheapest, easiest and best way to get a paper log that will burn better than the paper would alone.

I was wrong about drying my logs - they do dry well by the wood burner after all. I'm now getting about an hour and a quarter out of a log once it's dry, which is better than average if websites and forums are anything to go by. Think I've made mine very, very compact so they're lasting longer.

Still wouldn't recommend anyone spend fifteen or twenty quid on a special metal maker though - get one in used condition and try that first. Mine's strong enough to stand on (if you have good balance!) so the logs made in special makers should burn better than those made just by hand.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

We were looking at doing paper logs, but haven't really started with it yet.
We researched the log makers on the net, and most got really bad reviews - either flimsy or fiddly or both.
Think I might go for the stuffed envelope method - less effort and mess but it won't burn long I suppose.
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

If you stuff the envelope until it can't hold any more (to exclude as much air as possible), it actually burns for quite a few minutes for a large envelope.

I borrowed an expensive metal log maker from a friend to try but it was a lot of hassle and the drying took ages. I decided to save my money and stay with envelope stuffing. It is so easy to do.

I also fill small(ish) boxes and strong bags like sugar bags with the wood chips and sawdust from cutting up the wood for the woodburner. I fill a box with woodchips and then top up with sawdust and shake/tap well to fill up all the gaps between the woodchips. Doesn't burn quite as long as a real log but it does very well - and it is free!
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

That's a great idea, smallholderwannabe, thanks!
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

I've just stuffed two envelopes. Both were A4 size envelopes but the first was slightly smaller in width - obviously designed to just carry a couple of sheets of a letter and the second was about 3mm wider. The smaller one took about 100 sheets of paper to fill to bursting point and the slightly wider one took about 150. The paper I used was printer paper as I happened to be in the right place at the right time when somebody had just cleared out their filing cabinet. The smaller one will probably burn for a good 20 minutes or so.

I don't usually count the sheets of paper! This was just to give you an idea. At home, I use whatever paper comes my way, including the advertising rubbish that comes through the door and it is all different sizes.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry to ask a dim question, but is the point of the paper log/envelope/sugar bag to do away with firelighters, or to give out heat? :oops:
smallholderwannabe
Lively Laner

To give out heat : )

If I burn one envelope or bag/box per day then that is about 250 ish logs that I don't have to source over the winter. Free too - my favourite price.
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

I made loads and loads of these through the summer and dried them out in the greenhouse - glad I did now as our wood is a bit damp. Wish I'd made more. They are quite hard work, but once you get onto a roll with doing them, its not so bad. I was making 3 -4 a day on average from early spring through to end of summer. It helped that we had a great summer for them to dry.
It's better to be looked over, than overlooked!