Annie's Girls.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Annie's Girls.

Post by AnnieG »

I've had my lovely girls for four weeks now and I'm in love with each of them.
I wasn't going to have more chickens after Mr Fox got my last girls but someone showed me their new chicken coop and that was that!!!
I knew exactly which coop I wanted too. It was one I'd seen on ebay back when I had my first girls but I didn't get it because someone had made me a coop at the time. This time though I was determined to get the one I wanted...

THIS ONE

I love this coop. It's like a little house.
I like my girls to free range but that isn't always possible so I decided too section part of the garden off just for the chickens.
It's quite a big piece of ground and plenty of room for them to stretch their legs and wings in.

We found the wire fencing at the bottom of the garden. No idea where it came from.

The slabs going down for the coop to stand on...
Looking good...
Slabs all down and coop in place...

Next I need to put the weed guard down and the wood chip, then finish the fencing.

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Re: Annie's Girls.

Post by Thomassio »

Nice one Annie, good to see the start of a new diary. But....next you don't need to put weed guards down, you need to show us some pictures of your lovely ladies!
Nice coop and area set up, well done.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

don't bother with weed guard. Your girls will get rid of grass/ weeds in a minute.
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Its Pink !

Very very nice )t'

It must be a Man thing , my coop and run is all in manly dark oak , i dont think i could get away with pink )grin2(
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

My beautiful girls...
Hester. I think she will be the first to lay
Annie. Named after me by my 4 year old grandson.
And Poppy
And this is my 2 year old grand daughter Lena feeding Hester
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

And all three beautiful girls inspecting their new garden.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Lovely girls, I bet they're happy with their fabulous home! Look forward to reading more )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Hi

I think your right on the first one to lay )t'

My two were into 26 - 28 weeks before they layed but i did get them in autumn so maybe that was why .

Its surprising how quick they change in a few weeks {hug}
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Funnily enough, I put the girls to bed last night and I swear they were still all the same size, but when they got up this morning Hester seemed enormous compared to the other two. I'm sure she put on weight over night. {rofwl}
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

I let the girls out in to the small run this morning and within minutes two of them were back in the nest box, together as usual. I think eggs are imminent. Come on Hester!!! You can do it!!!
Will keep you posted.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Some of us have noticed that when hens are nearly ready to lay they crouch when we go near them (as if we were a cockerel).
That first egg will taste so good.

I wonder about the fence though. A 4 foot fence is usually OK, though I had one (a dual-purpose, heavier hen) that could get over my 4' net with a crouch and a jump. But they will certainly enjoy perching on top of the coop, and from there it could be an easy flutter over the fence - unless it's further away than it looks.
What do other people think?

I agree, no need for weed guard. They do enjoy digging holes, it will soon look like you grandkids mud patch in the other thread.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

They're all crouching but Hester seemed to blow out over night the night before last, she's so big I thought someone had swapped chickens when I wasn't looking. Haha!
I don't mind them going over the top of the fence it's more for sectioning them off than anything else but I might go a bit higher if they just won't stay put. I'm more concerned with the dog bothering them. He's at the top of the garden behind a gate but he does like to sniff around them when he gets the chance. No idea why because he's scared stiff of them.
Someone suggested weed guard so the wood chipping don't get embedded into the mud underneath. They say it will be easier to change the chippings when the time comes. What do you think?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I don't know what weed guard looks like. If it's been recommended by someone who uses it, then maybe. Do her hens scratch holes in it? I just put more chippings down and the hens dig it in. I do a bit of poo picking, though not when it's pouring with rain and it all washes in. Not sure if I'm doing it right.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

SHE DID IT!!!!!! I knew it would be today!!! Clever girl Hester! Our first egg. {hug}
Tiny but perfect!!
{hug}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well done Hester.
Have you weighed it? They'll get bigger.