AnnieG's Veggie Patch 2014

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
AnnieG
Lively Laner

AnnieG's Veggie Patch 2014

Post by AnnieG »

... and a 'patch' it will be. I've never grown my own before and have no idea what I'm doing but here goes...
Just beyond the chicken run is a slightly smaller area that needs to feel useful, who am I to deny it that?? So I'm going to attempt to grow some veggies. Oh yes I am!!! I think I'll put some spuds in a tub or two to save what little space I have in the patch. I'm thinking carrots, and onions cos I use a lot of those and maybe some courgettes and whatever else I can nick from my daughter who has loads of stuff on the go in trays.
Oh and tomatoes in pots too.
I might just enjoy growing my own. Fingers crossed for me. >veg1< >veg3< >veg4< >veg5<
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: AnnieG's Veggie Patch 2014

Post by billnorfolk »

Well done AnnieG

Lots of luck with your patch and you know where to get advice from should you need it .Look forward to reading your diary and to help where we can )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to doing my patch. I'm sure I will need help along the way too. How easy are cabbage to grow? (See? Need help already. )
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

This will be my veg patch. It's about 8ft x 8ft. I don't know how much I will get in there but it's big enough for a beginner I think. Needs lots of work on it too. What should I put down to liven up the ground for planting? It's not been used for anything in 8 or more years. The grandkids like to dig there.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

What should I have in already? I don't want to plant stuff that should have been in weeks ago. And what do you suggest a beginner plants for easy of learning?
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Oh and one more thing that's just sprung to mind, how do I keep my 4 cats off the veg patch? :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They need protecting from Cabbage White caterpillars. I think some people put fleece over, I squish the eggs and the caterpillars that I've missed as eggs.
Lettuce is easy and doesn't take up much space - I like Tom Thumb because is grows more quickly - and is big enough for 2 of us. But only plant a little at a time, or it will all come at once. You can use the thinnings.
Radish germinates the quickest, I use a few seeds to mark my rows. They also need eating small or they get too hot and tough.
A few runner beans on a wigwam of canes in a sheltered spot will give an abundance if you pick regularly - again you don't want to let them get big, tough and stringy. I pick mine 4 times a week from August till the first hard frost - strip them twice a week to give away at dance club if there is enough in the freezer. They can't go out till no risk of frost, you can start them on a window sill and move them into a bigger pot, then harden then off by putting outside in the day, in at night. Or put the seeds in the ground in May. Mine do best on the south side of a big holly hedge, they get an earlier start and a later finish with that protection.

I like to grow peas, but they need something to climb up. They always grow taller than the packet says, and while runner beans climb easily, twining round anything, peas have got little tendrils so need twigs or nets. But securely held up, or the whole lot sags (like mine always does) and you have a job picking the pods before they go over.
Oh yes, peas need to be picked when they are young - just swelled not tough - too.

In fact, like flowers the rule is, pick early, don't let them ripen seed or the plants will die.

You say veg, but how about strawberries, rhubarb, raspberries, blackcurrants?

Good luck and happy eating, they taste so much better than shop bought. And you know what they haven't been sprayed with.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Thanks . Some really good tips there. I don't like rhubarb but the rest of it I love so some fruit it is then. My daughter has loads of veg on the go so will be begging some from her and strawberries too I think she said. I'm looking forward to this. :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How old are the grandkids? Do they have their own plot at home (is it the same daughter who is giving you the plants?). You could, perhaps, give them a row each.
My grandson is 5 now, he enjoyed picking and shelling broad beans from when he was 3. You'll have to be quick getting them in. They are the earliest.
Everything else goes in about now but I've found that if I plant a row of e.g. peas and then another a week or two later when the soil is warmer the later ones catch up.
My grandson also loves digging for potatoes.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

They're 8, 4 and 2 Mo. The 8 year old grew potatoes when he was 5 and sold the for a £1 a bag to the neighbours. {rofwl} They dig in the patch I'm going to use but I've got 2 very small patches they can use this year. They're only 4ft x 2ft each but big enough for the boys to grow stuff in.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My 5 yr old has 3 hens in my run, and sells any eggs his mum doesn't to his other Grandma. She says he gets a bit confused about the right price though - sometimes he tries to give her change from her pound, sometimes asks £2 a box.
I bought him the hens in summer, mine are a year older, so he gets 3 eggs most days while I only get one {cry} . Guess who buys the feed.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Haha! Bless! I love it. So both grandma's are helping him learn.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi AnnieG

Cabbages are fairly easy to grow but as Mo said cabbage whites }hairout{ need netting to keep em pesky cabbage whites off ,that will also help with keeping cat off .Bit late for manure but a couple of bags of cheap compost and a 3or4 small handfuls of grow more will help liven it up a bit then manure in the winter or well rotted chicken muck.Only grow what you enjoy eating and plants instead of seed for brassicas in a small plot may be better )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Thanks Bill. I'll get some compost and some netting. I've got a few pots too so I'll go that way I think. That should free up more ground.
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Nothing done on the patch yet as we've had a birthday in the house, youngest is 25 today so we've been busy baking and cleaning for her little pre-night club soiree! I'll be in bed when she gets home and if I'm still awake I'll pretend to be asleep! {rofwl}