Our new Shetland Sheepdog

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Our new Shetland Sheepdog

Post by Spreckly »

Yesterday we became the proud owners of Angel, a fourteen month old shetland sheepdog bitch. Settling in will, I think be a lengthy process, as she has been with four other shelties, and our house is quiet in comparison.

Last night - a disaster. Start as you mean to go on, and so we did, but after an hour of none-stop barking, from her crate in the living room, where my other girls lived overnight, I hauled her up to our bedroom. It was an eventful time, while she danced on our bed, but finally settled for five hours sleep.

This morning I have attempted to get her to do her business, but the hearth rug is now in the dustbin - should have saved it and put the scent on the yard for her to pick up. I managed to get her outside for a poo, but when we came back from a quick local shop, the kitchen floor needed immediate attention!

She is beautiful, sable and white, and slowly getting more confidence in us. We took her for a short walk after lunch, with a harness and two leads, for safety.

We hope for a better night, and progress in the toilet department.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Our new Shetland Sheepdog

Post by kitla »

Pleased to hear you've got another doggy Spreckly. Sounds like she's keeping you
busy!
)piicy(
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

So glad to hear that you have another dog in your life. :-D It sounds as though she hasn't had much formal house training but will get there with a bit of understanding on your part. She must be so confused at leaving the others and being in a strange place. That is probably why she played up when being in a crate. She has always slept with others and only settled when snuggled up with you.
Good luck with her Spreckley, she sounds beautiful. I hope she soon feels at home and then everything will fall in place for her.
Looking forward to a piccy. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ah Spreckly, I am so glad you have got another dog! Angel sounds adorable and I am sure she will settle down soon and be a wonderful companion {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yes, she is beautiful. The previous owner had a dog flap, so I think Angel would follow the lead of the others, and go outside. Toilet training still a bit hit and miss, but as you say, it is so confusing for her. She has spent the morning in the garden with us, enjoying the sunshine. Last night we took her straight up with us, and she lay between us, sleeping until OH got up for a night call at 4am.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I see she's getting you well trained! :-D
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

So glad she is settling in bit more. I applaud you for letting her sleep in your room. When she feels really at home and more secure, you can maybe gradually introduce her to the place where you want her to sleep.
When we re homed Megan, who we took on as an old lady, she always slept on a blanket near OH's side of bed. We never found it a problem as she slept all night and we had a good nights rest. She went before him to make sure that she was in her place. She used to look over her shoulder at him as much as to say "I'm going, are you coming".
I'm sure that you and her will soon have that special bond and she will have a beautiful life with you. )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Angel is slowly settling. She had a wonderful morning with us in the garden yesterday, and last night (on our bed), she slept like a log.

Toiletting is still a bit of a problem. She actually went outside of her own will to do a poo, which I have left on the yard, as a hint, and though we had to wait thirteen and a half hours for her to do a wee, she went half an hour ago. We have been in the garden, up and down the garden, and at last, we had a result. So I gave her two bits of kibble, which is one of the Natural range.

We are absolutely loving having her, she is a little darling, and I will try and get OH to put some photos of her up - though we are useless at that sort of thing.

I shall not change my avatar, Nation was a huge part of our lives, and always will be.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hopefully some photos of Angel taken yesterday will be on this reply.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh Spreckly she's gorgeous! When I was 5 years old my first dog was a sheltie
called Tiggy, Angel looks so like her I got a rush of nostalgia seeing your photos!
--Immanuel Kant
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh my goodness she is so beautiful {hug} and suits her name, although I am doubting you are thinking that with the toilet department, bless her I am sure it will be a distant memory soon.

Beautiful girl {hug&kiss}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

She really is very pretty, how wonderful that you have found each other {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your kind comments. Angel is beautiful, so enthusiastic and loving. Certainly she has been the best medicine for our anguish over losing Nation - though of course we still have that dull ache of loss.

Yesterday we cleaned Angel's teeth, and brushed her the day before. Her previous owner has done an excellent job of preparing her in this way. Nation hated the toothbrush, and it was a two man job, but Angel sat perfectly still on OH's knee while I did the deed.

Kitla, shelties are indeed a lovely breed.

I need to start leaving her on her own for lengthening periods of time, but only after she has toiletted, or we will return to a decorated kitchen floor, like we did on Friday.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

She is so pretty Spreckly, a real sweetie.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

She is such a beautiful girl. Thanks for letting us see her envy}}