Bottle Tower Gardens

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Bottle Tower Gardens

Post by Aspasia »

These help to make the most of a small growing area.

They don't need as much watering as open ground because there is less area for water to evaporate from, and if you put a tub underneath, run-off from watering can be poured back into the top, saving water and also soil nutrients.

If you start with weed-free compost, they also need hardly any weeding, because there is only a very small area open to weed seeds.

[center][youtube]K9vN2eudWcQ[/youtube][/center]
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Re: Bottle Tower Gardens

Post by Scrambled »

What a great idea for a very small area )t'
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

We planted some strawberry runners in one last autumn as an experiment: they seem to be surviving so far. :) I'm planning to use them for salad leaves this year, in the conservatory because salads don't grow well outside here without protection.

I should think the harvest will be cleaner, too, since the leaves/fruit will not come in contact with the ground or get muddy splashback when it rains or when they're watered.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Loved this idea and am going to try it this year. Thanks for the link. Will let you know how I get on.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

I hope it works well for you, Freeranger!

I'm not very good at remembering to water plants in pots, but I'm having to make a particular effort with these. Having said previously that they need less watering than open ground, I'm finding that the draw of gravity combined with the small amount of soil in each section means that they need watering every other day in a warm conservatory.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Fascinating )t' )t'

I'd imagine good for single bottles to grow a prize Carrot in.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Richard wrote:I'd imagine good for single bottles to grow a prize Carrot in.

Richard

I should think that might work well, but I have to admit I wouldn't put the effort in for just the one carrot. {rofwl}