slugs n snails

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

slugs n snails

Post by Chookaholic »

Hi loves

I have a question for you all . How do you stop / keep to a minimum slugs and/ or snails when growing your cabbages etc. I have invested in some net domes in regards to insects . I dont want to use chemicals as i have my chooks free ranging every day ... and the little madams dont touch slugs }hairout{

i was starting to keep back egg shell to crush and sprinkle round the base of the nets etc:

can i ask you all what you do? I will be gutted if i plant out veggies and they eat the lot : Id be grateful for 1 cabbage/ cauliiflower, sprout on my first time growing

Thankyou in advance for all replies

Lisa
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Re: slugs n snails

Post by Thomassio »

What you need is a guard duck! {rofwl}
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If you can afford it buy copper bands. When you plant cabbage put the ring round them. Slugs and snails don't like copper.
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

lol thom i thought of you as soon as i said slugs! {rofwl} not sure thats a good thing tee hee but i will get some ducks just have to get organised

I will do that thankyou Maggie ... ill have a mooch on tinternet now )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

beer bait - sink a container and fill with (cheap or stale) beer and the slugs will drown themselves in sheer bliss
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

lancashire lass wrote:beer bait - sink a container and fill with (cheap or stale) beer and the slugs will drown themselves in sheer bliss

Or drink beer, forget about slugs! )hic( )c(
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Chookaholic wrote:I will do that thankyou Maggie ... ill have a mooch on tinternet now )t'

They are not always cheap on the Internet. I think I got mine in Wilkinsons or one of the supermarkets. Try in th £1 shops or something like that