I've taken the plunge

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

I've taken the plunge

Post by Phoenix82 »

into growing my own food. I have Cucumber,Cabbage,Butternut Squash and French Beans all germinating on the Kitchen Window. The Potatoes are in outside too. As soon as I have relocated the Chickens to another part of the Garden the area where they were is being turned into raised beds by reusing my old Pergola. It's all quite exciting-I just hope I have some success!
Wife of one,Mum of two.
5 assorted Pekin Bantams,1 White star,1 Bluebell,1 Black Rock Hybrid
1 Lurcher,1 old Tom,1 Tabby Cat
Desperate for some Indian Runners!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: I've taken the plunge

Post by Mo »

What fun. I'm sure you'll have some success - and probably some random failures too if your garden is like mine.
It makes you realise that for hundreds of year (thousands even) people were at the mercy of nature rather than expecting full supermarket shelves.

There's nothing like the satisfaction and flavour of home grown food.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)app( excellent - nothing like eating your own grown food, and save on "air miles" too LOL.

You might be a tad too eager with the cucumber, french beans and butternut squash - they are all very frost sensitive and can't be put outside until the risk is gone ... usually the latter half of May give or take a couple of weeks depending on your location. By then, you'll have monster plants that are easily damaged when trying to plant out.

I usually start sowing cucumber, courgette and winter squashes by about the third week in April up to mid-May - and they like warm temperatures to germinate. When they start getting a bit bigger (into their 2nd / 3rd leaves), harden off outside during the day (but protect from wind and heavy rain/hail) before planting out in their final place.

French beans - I get much better results by sowing them direct in the bed where they'll be growing - from about early/mid-May depending on the weather, weather forecasts and some voodoo good luck to keep Jack Frost away - fleece and slug pellets (or whatever method you choose - slugs and snails really love to eat germinating beans) at the ready.

As for cabbage, they can go outside right now (leave them in pots if your beds aren't ready) otherwise they'll grow leggy very quickly - they are called "cool weather" plants. Watch out for slugs, snails and pigeons at seedling stage, and when planted out, highly recommend you use a fine mesh net to keep out the dreaded cabbage white butterfly.

I hope this post doesn't put you off - once you get into it, you'll find growing your own a lot of fun. Good luck with it!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I agree with LL. I don't sow my veg seeds till at least April unless they are for my Polytunnel. Are your girls free ranging, if so beware of slug pellets. Chickens will eat anything especially new plants.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maggie1 wrote:. Are your girls free ranging, if so beware of slug pellets. Chickens will eat anything especially new plants.

Sounds like you need hen pellets!

But yes, they will - ours are not being let out now I'm starting to get things in (very slowly, as I've found that things germinate quicker when the soil is warmer). And I wouldn't use slug pellets - you don't know what they will poison.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Phoenix82
Lively Laner

Post by Phoenix82 »

I have a small greenhouse to put them in. I've got a few other things to sow straight outside too. It's all a learning curve :-D
Wife of one,Mum of two.
5 assorted Pekin Bantams,1 White star,1 Bluebell,1 Black Rock Hybrid
1 Lurcher,1 old Tom,1 Tabby Cat
Desperate for some Indian Runners!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Last year was our first year of growing veggies and the results were amazing. Cabbage white butterfly was our only disaster. They ravaged all the kale and sprout plants.

This year is our first year with a polytunnel and we're just beginning to plant some early stuff. The first green shoots (only lettuce) sent me hysterical and we're growing them on in the polytunnel's raised beds. Should be eating lollo rosso in a couple of weeks.

The last of our leeks are still in the ground. I'll probably pull the last ones this week. They've been amazing and I'll grow more this year.

Good luck. You'll have a load of fun, lovely food and the setbacks make you stronger and you learn for the next year.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You'll definitely have success, as long as we don't have a soaking summer. Ive grown my own for years now - I get it off my dad, he loves his little veg plot. French beans are easy and very prolific croppers, just make sure you have enough plants to give you a decent helping of beans (I grow about 12 for the 2 of us). Tomatoes are also dead easy and if you grow cherry types you can grow them in hanging baskets which is handy if space is an issue. And you can't beat the taste of home grown tomatoes. I've had success in my little greenhouse with cucumbers and aubergines as well. I always grow lettuce cos my husband eats it, and I also grow sweetcorn which is surprisingly easy and the girls love the cobs

I agree with everyone else though - the biggest pests to look out for are the chickens! I lost my whole crop of caulis, cabbage and god knows what else last year to 2 newly liberated ex batts who scoffed my seedlings on their first weekend out }hairout{
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper