Saving pennies on printer ink use

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Saving pennies on printer ink use

Post by Aspasia »

A 14 year old claims that the US government would save $400 million (£240 million) by changing the font on official documents from Times New Roman to Garamond. It might save a few pennies in our homes, too!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/29/clever-te ... s-4682406/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Saving pennies on printer ink use

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sounds like a good idea if it works, but cant help wondering why he hasnt kept the 'details' under his hat for a while, got proof and then gone and marketed it. Perhaps its just me, but I would think he could make himself a fortune if kept quiet on how to do it..........
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You would need to do research on which is easier to read. Type size counts too.
Fonts are there for a reason - probably some daft designer reason.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

This is true, Mo: Times New Roman is definitely bolder and more eyecatching. But I suppose a government could save it for posters etc, have internal paperwork in Garamond, and still make a lot of savings. Similarly, I could use Garamond for unimportant print-offs.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Gwenoakes wrote:Sounds like a good idea if it works, but cant help wondering why he hasnt kept the 'details' under his hat for a while, got proof and then gone and marketed it. Perhaps its just me, but I would think he could make himself a fortune if kept quiet on how to do it..........

Maybe because he's 14? Mind you, he's clearly a lot smarter than I was at 14, so perhaps it might have occurred to him.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

LOL a lot smarter than me too, at any age.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I get asked this question all the time by customers (I repair printers/copiers) "how many pages can a cartridge print from new?", and I always give the same answer!, "It all depends on what you are trying to print!". When a manufacturer states that the print yield on a toner/ink/ribbon cartridge is XXXXX pages, then providing you are only printing standard text print, then generally it applies!, note I only said generally!. If you include bold or graphics of any size shape or form within the print, then this equation goes flying out the window!....
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.