chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Post by sandy »

Oh please do the bike ride with MC )t' get it video'd of course. Lola sounds a bit of a madam, knew it wouldn't be a black beauty named Betty who was a trouble maker
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

That picture of Miranda Crumpet is brilliant! They are so funny and I can't wait to get my hens.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

What a wonderful chickeny life :-D Never knowing what you are going to find or what they are going to get up to )t'
LYN
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Betty definitely is a good girl and not the instigator she will happily eat beside the little uns and dust bathe etc with them . . Lola is ruthless and will charge the full length of the garden to beat up our little Gertie , poor Gertie is becoming a nervous wreck , taking to hiding behind Miranda Crumpet. Lola has pinned her from behind and used her feet in a raking motion on her back which I have never seen before , I really thought my little bantam was doomed and ran towards her waving my arms and shouting my head off until she let her go. Luckily due to Gertie being such a fuzzy bum she was totally unscathed though my heart nearly gave out

it seems pointless putting her in isolation (Lola) for a week as she is the new girl so Ill be making the new girl a new girl again ! }hairout{ Gertie and Mrs Pepperpot are now laying all over the place as they wont go into the run and be cornered

Im basically spending my days with cups of water and my leg stuck in strategic positions trying to keep her away. Seems this lady has mean bones )de: so her days maybe numbered here as she is very very aggressive and is showing no signs of getting better, she regularly attacks our bottom ex batt too . I dont think ill ever see such an aggressive hen again as long as i live

Sandy: I will have to get MC a little seatbelt so she is safe ! :-D maybe a little crash helmet too
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Oh dear, your Lola does sound a little terror. I have a 'pin em down and attack with the feet' chicken but she is slowly improving so fingers crossed that your Lola will mellow in time. You sound like you're doing an excellent job on damage limitation but it does get exhausting doesn't it?
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

She is definitely getting worse BridgetsMum .. at first she would just peck and give chase a little now she is hell bent on attacking : completely focused :its like she has tunnel vision with them . Now ive noticed a couple of my others are pecking too...

Gertie now walks round constantly making a racket like she is worrying and has stopped laying altogether. I worry if it carries on ill lose my little pekin .... to be kind to Gertie: Lola will have to be rehomed. If it wasnt so bad id give her more time but its getting worse , Gertie has a little bald spot behind her comb {cry} where she is being pecked or held down.

I realise how lucky i have been with all my girls up to now: they have all been very good with introductions and integration. I am a very laid back chicken Mum Im not a worrier per se ; ive let them out every day in a big back garden to roam in thinking the more room they have Lola will calm down but no }hairout{

Demon chicken !!! )de: )de:
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I sorry about all the hassle you are having, I can always take on one naughty girl, did it with Amanda-Jayne who was a prize bully but not with my girls she wasn't but alas everyone lives 2 million miles away from me!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Hi Lisa

Great pics and a good read {hug}

I,m separating my 2 New ex bats permanently from the other seven at the weekend .

They are getting attacked by all the Hens and have no peace .

Its not how i imagined it would go but i would sooner them be in peace with there own house and coop than be bullied constantly .

The Seven others are great together and its the 2 lowest in the pecking order that are worse .....the gits !

>ch< >ch< )t'
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Speaking to a taxi driver yesterday who has chooks and he has taken her! )t'

I tell you its a weight off my shoulders. He has all large fowl breeds so she will be ok there as she only terrorises the smaller girls. I feel like I havent given her much time but I know in my heart of hearts she would not have improved. Gertie is still twitchy this morning and making a racket hopefully she will relax soon

I know what you mean by the bottom chooks Drummy they do like throwing their weight around dont they? When we got the ex batts Puddin was a nightmare for a while too but has calmed down now.

The difference with Lola was she came in all guns blazing and never snapped out of it and she was a VERY big chook. Much bigger and heavier than any of my other girls: strange how the others start to pick up on her behaviour though and also start to peck and bully isnt it? Arent chickens naughty?!

Im sorry to hear about your girls, hopefully youll get lucky and when theyre a bit more confident theyll integrate . My Nibs is still shy and stays on the side lines , Rusty is a cheeky so and so and will run at me with the others though looks at mealworms like theyre the most disgusting thing she ever saw; she wont touch them but stands in the middle of every other chook eating them :-D

Sandy thankyou for the offer! I rehomed her from Dannyringking who was having trouble with her and his bantams. My bantams are really confident with all my other girls so I never envisaged this outcome , at least she is running riot now in a huge space as the taxi drivers wife has stables etc: she is safe from the soup kitchen !
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Done so much gardening and the girls have given me a hand . they love the polytunnl and beat me in every time for the fresh grass and worms

Had to ban my Daughters from helping me in regards to the chooks, i noticed the mixed corn was going down very quickly and they were eating mny pellets ; theyre egg shell quality has been suffering , turns out theyre throwing them a full sieve of corn to get the chooks out of the way when theyre going for eggs or having a little tidy . (we have an old sieve i use to dust DE and poultry spice on the pellets and corn)

Now 3 girls going out and me to clean coops and the garden is 4 lots of corn a day ! I nearly died my chooks are little pigs! So now my Daughters have been told NO CORN! they get it much later in the day and not 4 lots }hairout{

Had to give jock a bath .. changed the water 3 times! he was rotten ; but i have to say having a blow dry was his idea of heaven he just closed his eyes and got pampered )t( now he looks gorgeous again. he was greasy from the Vaseline for scaly leg , obviously grooming had spread it around and to be honest he looked fed up . Gave me the chance to give him a once over too , check his feet and eyes etc. He was making a very strange whistle from his nose so i put garlic in his water and hey presto it stopped )t'

one mucky chook!

wrapped in a warm towel:

and almost dry with little sweetcorn for being good

all girls are doing great with their eggs even though some shells went a little sketchy .. we had 10 the other day which is our record. I now have half a fridge full of boxed eggs and have ordered some labels for them! im So excited! Took me ages to decide on a label , I was like a kid in a sweet shop. as soon as they arrive i will put a pic on here )c( )c(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a lovely grassy place, bet they were pleased as punch. I was just like you with the labels

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

What a pretty boy. Does anyone do egg boxes small enough for Bantam eggs I wonder >coc<
LYN
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

not that ive seen Aishakali, Sandy even though the grass is surviving their onslaught i still throw down grass seeds and feed it twice a week :D

Ok I have a very stupid or very clever Leghorn .. this beautiful bedazzling pure white bird who literally shines in the sun has decided she is going to be a mechanic and gets down the side of our petrol lawn mower to lay : she looks like a grease monkey at the moment and ive had to ban her from smoking incase she goes poof! and we have a BBQ chook in the garden ....bl**dy animal . I cant even bath her because she is a swine to catch and screams her head off. New shed ordered so the mower is out of sight ... who said chooks are cheap n easy?! }hairout{

Tikka is having a moult at the moment as is fed up . Really droopy and no where near her cheeky self . Town tomorrow for supplies for my little treasure. {hug}

I was washing the dishes today and heard an "alarm call" i see my chooks whizz across the garden and dive under the big conifer we have and 2 ran into the wash house. I run out as we have in the past had a Goss Hawk eating pigeon pieces at leisure ...or a dreaded fox. I look around....nothing....count chooks...1,2,3,4 ....ll there. The dogs are just poodling round calmly so im confused Then I turn around and this is on our roof! yike*

he was eyeing all my chooks and obviously on the mooch for some little chicks .. )de:

I am hoping to hatch chicks next year and this gave me notice: must be secured and covered.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring !
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I love the pic of your little man getting his blow dry, but if I was him I'd be really worried about that chicken right behind him yike*

Poor Tikka. I have a chook who has been moulting pretty badly and came to me really deficient in protein. I've been feeding her sunflower seeds and it seems to have really helped (and mealworms too) so if you're moult shopping, add sunflower seeds to your list.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

haha yes everything i get as a gift is now chicken related :-D

Tikka pecks at food but doesnt seem to be interested. Not like her at all she is usually a real live wire. hopefully tomorrow she will perk up as she took a tiny bit of tuna and mealworms from my hand . She is totally bald underneath poor love im just glad the weather isnt too cold for her. I will watch her like a hawk and get her through it

I spent some time out and about doing some gardening and poly tunnel arranging. Has been a lovely breezy day . Bit like being at a wedding with all the cherry blossom falling

Merryweather having a rummage

dustbathing galore on the prepped veggie patch

a very naughty Cracker trying to bury her Sister!

poodling in the sunshine

Puddin

Mr Chookaholic brought me a nice cup of tea and they were convinced i was hiding something !

in the end Miranda crupet jumped up just to check and took a selfie while she was there {rofwl}

Hopefully tomorrow Tikka will be feeling a little better in herself , all the others are super healthy and laying extremely well . Jock has his crow back , seems the bath and blow dry perked him up