Shetland Sheepdog - help, dog owners please

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Shetland Sheepdog - help, dog owners please

Post by Spreckly »

Angel has been with us for two weeks and one day now. Most things are fine, apart from toiletting. She is going roughly every fourteen hours, but last Friday, she performed early morning, very late morning, and again in the afternoon. She doesn't go in the same place for either a wee or a poo. We had a big accident in the hall yesterday, which was partly my fault, the back door was closed.

We spend hours with her in the garden. Last night we were out gone eleven o'clock, her last wee had been 4.30pm. Thankfully this morning at sixe o'clock she performed everything, but despite spending much longer in the garden today, walking up and down, on lead, off lead, on gravel, on grass, over paving slabs, she just will not bob down! I don't want the previous owner to know how stressed we both are. Previously Angel was one of five dogs, and they used a dog flap, so the owner didn't really observe how often she went.

She came into season two days before we brought her home, and yesterday had a booster, which was overdue. The vet said she was just settling down, but apart from two wonderful days when she went on command (though the owner hadn't a word for wee, poo or toilet).

I don' t know what else to do. I do know that bitches and dogs can hold for over a day, we had a Rough Collie who had to be catheterised in the end, just after we got him.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Shetland Sheepdog - help, dog owners please

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry you are still having probs.

One thing you could do is to try to catch some wee when she next goes and pop it to the vet to be tested to see if she has an infection, but from what you describe I would doubt it, but then I am not a vet.

The other thing is to get a dog flap for her. If this is what she has been used to then possibly the way to go, but I really feel she has had a huge upheaval over the last two weeks. Not only has she got different owners, different smells etc she has left four other dogs as well and I think, though could be wrong that these little Sheltie dogs are quite nervous little things, perhaps you could correct me if I am wrong with that.

If you look at it from her view point she is going out on her own, by that I mean no doggie company to wee/poo, so that is strange to her as well. {hug} {hug}

Was this season her first one do you know, because if it was then that would have been strange to her as well.

I personally and this is only my opinion, would put lots of newspaper down indoors and try to be a little more relaxed about the toileting. Sorry, Spreckly am by no means having a go at you, but dogs do pick up on anxiety and you may be caught up in a vicious circle without realising it. {hug}

Does she wee/poo when out for a walk? Has she the same collar/harness/lead that she had with the previous owner and does she have the same bed/bedding? There are some plug ins you could try, but I have never had much success with them for dogs or cats, but maybe worth a go.

I wouldnt think it would do her any good to not wee/poo though for such a long while.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just thought, perhaps you could leave the poo down when she does one. Have done this in the past, although not the best thing to see on the lawn and it has worked.

Perhaps also to play with her outside with a favourite toy and/or give her a 'special' treat when she does either with lots of verbal praise. By special treat I mean something that obviously is not going to put weight on her, but that she has never had before, perhaps a very small piece of tuna/chicken or the likes.

I hope Wendy sees this as she is much more up on dogs and their behaviour than I am.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have seen it Gwen and offered to send her the house training leaflet. Awaiting a reply )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you Gwen, and Wendy I have pm'd you.

Gwen to answer your questions, Angel has got different leads, collar, harness and bed. The poo isn't my main concern, as I have taken indoor poo outside. Angel also has a different bed. I've tried a ball in the garden, lots of squeaky voices (me), and when she has eventually wee'd, given a small piece of kibble, which is a Nature's Own one.

We've just come in tonight, and A has been ecstatic, up and down the garden with great joy, and unlike some bitches hasn't wee'd with excitement. Her last wee was around 6am! I'll take her down again shortly and just hope she lets go. I hope I've answered all your points, Gwen, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

I suppose I am getting wound up, but try not to show it. She is an absolute delight apart from the toiletting problem.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just re-read your first mail, Gwen. Yes, shelties are very nervous little dogs, very sensitive. Angel hasn't wee'd when out on the lead. She is just finishing her season, and I can't take her out without OH - for protection against any loose amorous dog - until Tuesday.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The leaflet that Wendy can send you is good, Spreckly.

I think, given time she will relax more and so will you.

With having Lexi with her IBD and probs eating, when we got Teddy we didnt realise that the anxiety we had with Lexi re food etc was still with us and it started to pass onto him. After a stern talk to both Clare and myself, we began to relax and so did Teddy and any probs resolved themselves. Its hard, but it can/does work. )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hello Spreckly - I am sure that you will have all the advice you need from Wendy, but I just wanted to add that whilst I completely appreciate this is worrying you, it is still really early days for Angel in the scheme of things.

I feel sure with consistency, routine, praise etc, Angel will soon get the message and this will soon be a distant memory for you. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

It is Angel's second season, Gwen. Helen, thank you for your re-assuring words.

Despite thinking that Angel was still holding onto her wee, we now think that what I thought she did at 5.30am today was done last night. She had gone behind the caravan, on the concrete, out of the outdoor lights, probably after tea yesterday. We did come home to a little present in her bed, but that is not the concern, the retention of urine is.

But good news, after 8.00 this morning, she squatted on the lawn in front of OH. so I am hoping that there will not be such a long interval between now.

Thank you so much Wendy for sending the House Training leaflet, it will be a big help.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I feel sure that she will come good eventually but it may take a little time and patience. I think that Gwen said it all. It must be very frustrating for you Spreckly, but I do feel for this little dog, who isn't a puppy and was very much into a routine with other dogs. She must miss her siblings who she was with from a puppy and it may be that she doesn't yet understand what is expected of her.
Please don't get disheartened. Easy for me to say I know, but I have had a few dogs who had various problems and they all turned out well in the end. Dogs are very sensitive to our thoughts etc and if you are understandably showing your frustration, she may be holding on to it and just letting go when the need becomes too much for her, where ever that may be. Not an expert opinion just a thought.
{hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you June. We are keeping outwardly calm, but I expect Angel has picked up on our distress. As long as she is all right, healthy, eating, running up and down the garden (under supervision, after what happened to Nation), then I am thankful.

OH and I are both quiet people, we don't raise our voices or argue. The only time is when I am calling for a cuppa, or a meal.

I have done just under ten years' of obedience training with my shelties, unsure if I will take Angel, and certainly not just yet.

She has just come upstairs, "kissed" my leg, and is now curled up on the floor.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

How are things going, Spreckly?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

First of all thank you Wendy, your leaflet arrived in the post a short while since - country here, and the post is always very late. I have read it, and noted the training for an adult dog. We are still in the same situation. Spending a penny occasionally, and we have had a couple of 23 - 24 hour stretches, to my horror, and fear. Average is 15 hours between eliminations.

We have discovered that Angel is drinking little. She likes rain water, so I have boiled it, and given it to her for the past 24 hours, but even so, she doesn't take much in. I made an appointment with the vet yesterday for my own peace of mind (which frankly is in pieces at present). Just before we left, I took her into the garden yet again, with a wee catcher, and to my amazement, managed to get a sample. The urine was tested, and it is very strong, which confirms that she isn't drinking enough, but apart from the concentration, the tests were normal. Last wee 6am, and she has been in and out of the garden all day, without bobbing down. No accidents with wee in the house, though there have been a few episodes of soiling, but she poos happily on the yard, garden, gravel, anywhere and everywhere, it is just the problem with urination.

So thank you all again for your interest and help, hopefully we will see a change before too long. Just going into the garden again....
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am glad to hear there are no medical probs, Spreckly.

All of ours including the cats drink rainwater and got to admit I dont boil it, just let them get on with it, so to speak. Perhaps you have thought of it, but you could possibly put some water in with one of her feeds do you think?

Just a thought but is there anywhere she can go to the loo where you can watch her from inside, but her be alone in th garden?

Didnt spot this before, but if this is her second season and she is only 14 months old, I presume her first season was six months previous so she would have been quite young. Keep an eye on her with that, sorry this is my 'worry wart head' with the probs we had with Lexi as her first season was at 5 months old.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have a "yard" outside our back door, which is a concreted area for the carport and one caravan. Angel likes to poo behind the caravan, but has only wee'd on the yard once. I don't mind where she wees, providing it is outside. We do let her potter in the garden, and I can watch her from inside, but with memories of Nation's blockage, am wary of what she is licking and sniffing!

I've been moistening her kibble for the past three days, so she is getting water in that.
Again thank you all for your help.

)ot: A shetland sheepdog was driven at in a carpark a couple of days since by joyriders. He was dragged along, to his owner's utter horror, had to have surgery, including skin grafts, and sadly died as a result of his injuries. The only time we have been in a carpark with our dogs is when we are travelling with the caravan, and heading for the nearest grass. Makes one very wary.