Glyphosate - a question

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Glyphosate - a question

Post by Scrambled »

Our garden has mare's tail, ground elder, red clover, orange hawkweed and creeping buttercup in absolute abundance - if we grew it commercially, we'd be millionaires. When we moved to the house we decided that we'd try to tackle the weeds before planting up our new garden - and by digging, not by using weedkiller.

After a couple of years of this, and being sick to death of gardening solely = digging up perennial weeds, we've bought some glyphosate.

At the same time, I do want to start getting some plants in and getting the garden established because we've had two years of bare soil - well, bare except for the weeds }hairout{

My question is: if used VERY carefully, is it safe to apply glyphosate (maybe with a very small paintbrush) to the perennial weeds as they pop up, even if they are in amongst other plants? I realise that I need to make sure the glyphosphate isn't accidentally applied to any other plants, but does anyone know if being in close proximity to plants I want to keep could be a problem?

I have loads of lavender plants that I've grown on from plugs which I'm going to make a lavender hedge with and I need to get them planted out soon - if (when!) mares tail pops up around the lavender, would it be save to use the stuff on the weeds? >coc<
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Glyphosate - a question

Post by Totally Scrambled »

As far as I know it is only when it is wet that the glyphosate can cause damage by a plant brushing against another one coated in it. Once it has dried it shouldn't affect another plant next to it.
When I have spot weeded I cut the top and bottom off a 2 litre plastic bottle, place it over the one I want to kill and spray inside it so there is no spray going where I don't want it to. You could then always leave the bottle in place until dry to make doubly sure none gets on the plants you want to keep.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Re: Glyphosate - a question

Post by Scrambled »

Thanks for that - great idea re: bottles )t'