Layout/space saving

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Layout/space saving

Post by Thomassio »

Hi veggie experts! I'm having trouble figuring out what's going to go where and help would be very much appreciated.

So the bulk of my veggies this year will be in two 8x4 raised beds. One will be a mini polytunnel of sorts and one will be covered in a fine netting to keep pests down to a minimum.
I was planning on the polytunnel having tomatoes, sweet peppers, chillis, tomatillos and some basil, I would still like that but that leaves me with one bed for a couple of different lettuces, rocket, spinach, pak choi, spring onions, carrots, beetroots and peas and courgettes. Am I just trying to do too much? Or can it be done? I also have a few hanging baskets for tumbling toms, a smaller (2x3) raised bed that I was going to use for peas or herbs and 4 very large round pots. I would also like to squeeze a few marigolds in somewhere if at all possible. HELP!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Layout/space saving

Post by lancashire lass »

This is only my opinion, I'm sure others might think differently. To recap:

Thomassio wrote:two 8x4 raised beds

Of which:

Thomassio wrote:"mini" polytunnel having tomatoes, sweet peppers, chillis, tomatillos and some basil

Thomassio wrote:one will be covered in a fine netting -
Thomassio wrote:different lettuces, rocket, spinach, pak choi, spring onions, carrots, beetroots and peas and courgettes

Plus:

Thomassio wrote:a few hanging baskets for tumbling toms

Thomassio wrote:a smaller (2x3) raised bed

Thomassio wrote:4 very large round pots

First bed - how tall is the polytunnel (is it one of those 3-4 foot high ones or a walk in type?) and how accessible to get to the plants? Tomatoes are either bush type (sprawl) or vine (supported on a cane/rack with the side shoots nipped off - this ensures food goes into fruit production rather than green growth) As you live in Devon, I might take a chance and grow about 3-5 plants outdoors, say in the smaller 2 x 3 bed (2 rows) - the main downside is the risk of blight should we have a wet summer but you might be able to construct another temporary "mini" polytunnel to protect them from constant rainfall where spores land on damp leaves and the high humidity encourages infection (beware that in a high blight season, even those grown in greenhouses are susceptible)

That way you could concentrate on the sweet peppers and tomatillos (I haven't grown these so not sure how they do), plus basil in the polytunnel. Bear in mind you will need to pollinate the flowers (gently tap them to knock the pollen about)

Second bed: I wouldn't bother with the courgette - again, they will need some method of pollination if under netting, plus the plants can get very big and swamp the other vegetables. Instead, perhaps use the very large round pots. Are the courgettes bush type or vine? If bush, then they should be nice and compact - if vine, perhaps construct a mini scaffold and train it up like you would cucumber. I'd grow at least 2 courgette plants (one per pot) - they produce male and female flowers, and not necessarily at the same time so there is a risk the females might miss pollination, hence 2 plants will improve those chances.

Peas - the netting should keep the pea moth out but I suppose it depends on your area (I don't have that much of a problem so never bother) They will need a support, and can be "bushy" with grasping tendrils - I might be tempted to construct a wigwam in the big pots (wrap string or mesh netting round the canes for the tendrils to grasp) and sow the seeds (2 rows about 2 inch apart) round the perimeter. Peas have a short season, so usually do series of sowings every couple of weeks to extend it. Peas are not as productive per plant as you might think so on the other hand, you could do a single sowing, enjoy the crop (after the first flush, pick the pods to encourage a second flush before they die back), then re-use the pot to sow something else in its place - lettuce, pak choi, rocket or carrots.

Don't ever let the soil in the pots get dry - courgettes are thirsty plants, and peas quickly die off putting all their efforts into just one crop (imagine it as a survival thing to produce seed for the next generation)

You mention netting the 2nd big bed to keep pests out - surprisingly, not many of your vegetables are going to be too affected by pests. Carrots will get hammered by carrot fly, so a fine mesh net would be great. Lettuce, pak choi, beetroot, rocket and spinach are more likely to be eaten by slugs and snails (carrot seedlings too but generally not too much of a problem as they can bigger - usually they move in after carrot fly damage) - the netting will keep birds and other natural predators out, so you could use pellets or some other barrier/method. And also pigeons - they'll just love to eat the lettuce and pak choi.

I think with the courgette and peas out of the second bed, you might be fine with the other crops. Like the pea idea, I might be inclined to grow the lettuce, beetroot, rocket and spinach first, crop, then sow the pak choi and more lettuce so that you don't overcrowd the bed. It's one of those try and see how it goes kind of things.

Which marigolds are we talking about - french (has a strong perfume) or pot marigold? French marigolds dotted between the tomatoes and peppers would be great as they are "natural" insect repellants.

Good luck with your new veg garden - I hope you have a productive year )t'
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I had a feeling you might be the first to reply LL! Thanks you for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive response. I did think about peas or tomatoes in the pots, I'm glad you confirmed this. Courgette in a pot sounds like a good bet, I was worried it would take over half of a bed otherwise.
The polytunnel is more of an overgrown cloche, it's about 4ft high. Access will be straightforward although minimal access will be better as I will loose the warmth and moisture every time I roll back the top.
Truth be told, I hadn't thought about which marigolds, it's just something that keeps cropping up in companion planting articles, to encourage pollination I guess?
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Look up "square foot gardening"
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Thomassio wrote:Access will be straightforward although minimal access will be better as I will loose the warmth and moisture every time I roll back the top

In summer, you might find it gets way too hot - the bigger the polytunnel/greenhouse, the more stable the temperature variations (it takes a little longer to heat up large volumes of air, and a lot longer to cool down overnight than a small volume) but during midsummer, the sun strength can be potent and basically cook plants inside. You really do not want excess moisture either - especially tomatoes - as high humidity also encourages the spread of mould and damping off which can kill plants. I'd suggest you have fine netting on the ends (to keep bugs out) so that you can get some ventilation through should we have another hot summer.

fishpond wrote:Look up "square foot gardening"

By all means look it up .... it's not my cup of tea but some people find it worthwhile

EDIT: to avoid bolting, sow spinach and rocket directly into the soil rather than grow your own plug plants. These crops really do not like their roots disturbed, and keep well watered throughout the growing season
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks again. Following this thread, I drastically ripped out the top pond (swamp and have made myself another 16x4 foot bed! Another prime chilli spot I think.... And tomatillos after realising quite how much space they can take up...... Will keep you updated.