Chalet Girl's Girls

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Chalet Girl's Girls

Post by chaletgirl »

OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!!!! Tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up three hens!!!

Let's see...I've got the coop assembled, sprinkled it with DE, put hay in the nest box and wood shavings in the coop, put up the run, stocked up on feed and oyster shells, bought waterers, a feeder and will finish securing the run and coop with chicken wire tomorrow. I've saved up some trimmings from Brussel sprouts and butternut squash that we had for dinner last night to spread in the run and I've got a very flexible schedule for the next few days.

I think I'm ready!!

I've a couple of questions and if some of you seasoned Poultry lovers can help with a couple of answers/suggestions I'd appreciate it!

I've been told to put them in the coop when I bring them home so they can settle. Some people say 4 hours but I'm thinking I should just let them settle then open the door.

Also, is there anything I should avoid like giving them the kitchen scraps for example? I want to make sure I don't give them a shock or make them ill.

I believe the chickens I'm getting have not seen grass before and that they have been kept in crowded conditions. I'm really looking forward to seeing them discover grass!

I'm just hoping to make their homecoming as stress free as possible.

Thanks for your help!

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chalet Girl's Girls

Post by lancashire lass »

I didn't know about the coop thing ... I just opened the boxes they were in and let them come out on their own to investigate their new home. When it was time to roost, they instinctively seemed to know where to go.

As for introducing new foods especially greens, just a bit at a time - they won't be used to it and will most likely give them the trots - until their digestive system gears up to it. But, do make sure they eat their pellets and "treats" only make up 20% maximum of their food. Some treats are better than others - lettuce is a welcome green but it has very little nutritional value and too much can give them the runs, cabbage and similar greens should be limited as they contain substances that suppress iodine uptake by the thyroid. Definitely no avocado or green potato peelings as these are poisonous. But if you can dig up some wriggly worms now and again or any bugs in the garden, you'll be their friend for life. From a chicken's point of view, the bestest treat of all is sweetcorn ... it may take them a while to figure out what a cob is but they'll be looking forward to it LOL. Drained unsweetened sweetcorn from a can is an easy alternate but do limit how much you give as it can be fattening and you don't want that to happen.

Some things I leave whole like cabbage leaves or celery tops which gives them something to play with, whereas some things I will dice up like fruits and they just hoover it up without pause.

Chickens like to scratch for food - it is natural for them so do encourage that by sprinkling seed or pellets around the run for them to find. Just be aware that chickens are like children and eat the sweeties first and then try and wait it out rather than eat the pellets - you can't give in to those pitiful cries for more LOL. Trust me, they'll have you round their tiny toes.

Good luck with your new girls and have lots of fun )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If your run is small put them in the coop and let them find their way out (more likely to find their way back, then). If they are in a big shed you could shut them in there for longer (a day?) with food and water, to let them get used to it.
Mine are put into an arc with a small run, with the pophole open, and only let out into the main run after a day or so - but that is partly to let the other hens get used to them.

What you don't want to do is let them free range until they know where their home is. When they are reliably putting themselves to bed every evening then maybe you could open the door about half an hour before bedtime. They might find their way out, but at that time of day won't want to be far from their roost, so won't get lost. then next day they can have a bit longer and explore a bit further.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Thanks for your replies!! It's reassuring to know that I'm more or less on the right track :-D

Oh EXCITING DAY!!! Just picked up 'the girls'! I've put them straight in their coop for now. I want them to settle and I still have some wire to put down around the run.

I'm impressed with them and with myself! They didn't cause too much of a fuss when being handled...of course they are in shock I'm sure! And I have NEVER handled a chicken before but I picked them up and sat them in the coop like a pro! )c(

I had a nice, well ventilated, straw lined box for them to travel home in style. The old man who came to collect his chickens after me had two string bags...like the ones you buy carrots or potatoes in!!!! I thought to myself...surely he is here for something else...he's not going to take chickens home in those....WRONG! While I was cooing at my girls and settling them into the car here he came with two bags...two chickens in each...how can people treat animals like that? }hairout{

....anyway...I'm having a cup of coffee and getting ready to spend the WHOLE DAY in the garden doing odd jobs and watching my little flock settle in. Our Choc. Lab. Roxy has already been down sniffing around the coop. I called her away but she is VERY interested in the new smells in the garden. She has a low prey drive so, although I'll watch her and introduce her slowly, I don't expect any problems. They just have to get used to each other....

Here are some photos of the coop and run....we still have to make a fence or chicken tunnel for them to get to another part of the garden that they can play in!!

The coop with two sections of the run...

Three sections on...

This is a photo with the Pilates Chalet to the left of the Chicken Chalet :-D
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Ooh, exciting.

Are they Point of Lay? If so I know I'm glad we took plenty of photos when ours were young, it is amazing to see how their combs grew (especially my avatar Wiggy, whose comb just kept getting bigger and bigger!)

If they are ex-commercial hens, it's probably even more rewarding to see the before and after photos. I know I love seeing them on here as they get healthier and happier. Definitely something I hope to do in the future.

So basically, either way, what I am saying is... Lots of chicken photos please! :-D

Bit distressing about string bag man - doesn't bode well. I reckon your chooks are luckier than his. {cry}

Nice chalet by the way. I could do with some Pilates training in a nice chalet instead of a freezing cold village hall (which put me right off) but that's a bit of a long way to come!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

New girls! Brilliant.

Stick them in the coop and let them find their own way round. They might be shell shocked at first but don't rush them and they'll be fine. Just keep an eye out to make sure they find their food and water esp if they are rescue chickens as they may not be able to identify your feeders and drinkers.

I'd agree with the advice about avoiding scraps etc for now - just let them get used to their new surroundings and food. Everyone will advise you though to avoid or limit treats - it's really hard to do! Chickens are masters at emotional blackmail and will sell their own grandmothers for a bit of corn so be warned! (LL is right though - they are just like kids who won't eat their proper dinner for filling up on sweets)

Grass - chickens love grass, which usually means that people don't get a chance to. If they are eating long grass, they can have problems with their crop as the long bits can get impacted, so shortish is better (and plenty of grit to help[ them grind it up). if the grass is in your garden, then be warned that you may not have it for very long! Chickens can have a tendency to wreck a garden quite quickly what with the scratching and digging and dustbathing and eating.

You'll love them! They are lovely things and you'll soon wonder how you managed without them. As long as you don't ind that the garden is now theirs and not yours :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm loving them already.

Kept them cooped up until I had things ready with the skirting around the run. Once I was ready to sit quietly and do some little chores seated I took a cup of coffee down to one end of the run and opened the coop door.

I've spent a LOT of time today just watching them :-D

They have done very well for the first day! They were pretty peaceful and calm all day. They are more inquisitive than I thought they'd be in new surroundings. The brown girl seems to be pretty bold and even held her ground when our lab. Roxy made a half hearted jump at the run.

I was surprised that they didn't take themselves to bed. I went out long after dusk and, with Roxy's help, shooed them into the coop. I've shut them up for the night and can't wait to go out first thing in the morning. :-D

Here are some photos of their first day in their new home!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes, forgot to mention that you might have to put them to bed till they get the hint, and it may take a couple of days. They may perch or sleep in the nest boxes - if they do, just leave them to it as they do what they want. Keep a close eye on your dog -best not to take any chances even if your dog is very good. they look lovely girls. Will you free range them?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

KarenE wrote:Oh yes, forgot to mention that you might have to put them to bed till they get the hint, and it may take a couple of days. They may perch or sleep in the nest boxes - if they do, just leave them to it as they do what they want. Keep a close eye on your dog -best not to take any chances even if your dog is very good. they look lovely girls. Will you free range them?

Hi Karen,

Yes I did think, as I was shooing them into the coop, that maybe they just didn't realise they should go inside to sleep. They kept running under the coop (I've made it so they can go under for shade etc....it'll be cooler there in the summer months) Maybe I'll block it off tonight to make the move into the coop less of a battle!

My OH says they are naughty teenagers and don't want to go to bed at a reasonable hour :-D

As for Miss Roxy, not to worry, I keep an eye on my (or any) dog when they are around children or 'prey animals'....I think Roxy's jump at the run was more out of nerves...she just didn't know how to react and I think we will find that she's more afraid of them than they are of her once they are settled in :-D Still....slow and steady with the introductions is the way to go.

As for free ranging...yes! DH, the guy who DID NOT under any circumstances want chickens AND WAS NOT going to have anything to do with them, is planning a fenced area outside the run for them to have more room to play! I do want to let them free in the garden occasionally but I don't want my Pilates clients stepping in chicken poop on their way to the studio so will have to control where they go on days when I'm running sessions.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Lovely looking girls )t' I think the problem won't be so much people stepping into chicken poo, but your lovely lawn is going to disappear ... so a perimeter fence will be a good idea. And don't forget Mr Fox - free ranging has its limitations when things go dreadfully wrong. In the meantime, enjoy your girls - just a quick look at them and I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing some eggs soon :-D
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

I don't know if you seasoned chicken experts can tell by the photos but how old do you think they are. Are they at point of lay age...is that a good chicken term?

I don't expect that they are any particular breed...that isn't important for me at the moment but if they are I'd like a guess from you...I'll get better photos once they are allowed out a bit...I figure after a couple of days I'll see if they want to explore just outside the run before they need to go in for the night...we will see...
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

you definitely have a Bluebelle (the grey one), a Ranger/ISA/Warren (a multitude of names for the chestnut brown hen which is commonly used in poultry farming for eggs - a good layer )t' ) I can't be sure of the other but maybe a Speckledy? They are all hybrids

As for age - I'm just going off the crown, and mine were about the same when I got them (about 20 weeks) One of mine started to lay within days, closely followed by the others.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yes I am sure LL is right about them - the black and white one looks just like a Speckledy, like my Miranda
http://www.martins-wood-chickens.co.uk/ ... maran.html"

The other two are on that site too
http://www.martins-wood-chickens.co.uk/blue-haze.html"

http://www.martins-wood-chickens.co.uk/goldline.html"
My Goldline/Warren/Ranger, Ginger, has no white on her - they vary.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes, they look like a bluebell, a speckledy and a little brown jobbie. They look around point of lay age (yes, good chickeny phrase, you'll pick up peculiar lingo in no time) i have a copper maran who looks about the same age. Mine isn't laying yet -we think - But should start soonish I think.

Chicken poo is definitely a stepping in hazard for visitors. Chickens produce an unbelievable amount of poo so if you want to save your clients shoes (and your carpets) then you may have to keep them in the run, fence them out or invest in a good jet wash
Karen
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

So...Day 6 of chicken keeping :-D

No eggs yet but I can wait. 'Red' is still insisting on sleeping in one of the laying boxes. I went out there last night and moved her then did some fiddling in the garden...checked them again and...yep...'Red's back in the nesting box! Stubborn GIRL! :-D

Hubby...Mr. In no uncertain terms ill I have ANYTHING to do with the chickens has been first out to open the coop yesterday and today )c(

The neighbour tried to give them some kitchen vegie scraps today and seemed disappointed that they didn't go for them...I think they have too much grass to be interested in anything else at the moment.

I've let them have a wander around the garden for the past three days and they really enjoy exploring. 'Red' is VERY adventurous! She will wander off away from the other two and comes very close to me already )t'

Still trying to come up with names:

'Red' is my fav so far (although) I'm smitten with all three.. She's gutsy, first out of the coop in the morning, not very shy, LOVES the couple of worms I've thrown for her to eat and 'talks' most to me. poss names for her: Honey, Amber, Red, Ginger....

the 'Bluebell' is SHY, and seems lowest in the pecking order. Poss names: Mouse, Jessie

The speckled hen is bossy, thinks she's in charge but I don't think she is, she loves trying to catch flies and pecks the bluebell and is sassy/spicey....poss names for her: Pepper, Pearl

Sorry for the long post. If you made it this far thanks for your posts and help with identifying my girls' breeds....Personally it doesn't matter what kind of chicken they are.

I adore them already +f+