Allotment Closures - shocking !

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Allotment Closures - shocking !

Post by Richard »

Sorry, bit political, but...

Pickles approves 59 allotment sales

Richard {mr.angry}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Allotment Closures - shocking !

Post by lancashire lass »

There is a e-petition if anyone would like to sign online on the HM Government website - closing date is 10th June 2014
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Thank you Richard for bringing this to our attention and thank you LL for the link.

Signed.

Please share and sign folks. This is an absolute disgrace - money making whatnots! {mr.angry}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have signed the petition but feel that it will make no difference. Where money and power are concerned, it usually wins. }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Richard

Post by Richard »

True, I think the Government Petition thing is only there for PR to you think it may make a difference.

There again, I think they do look at it after a certain figure is reached.

Best plan would probably be to find out where these developments are taking place and should you live in that town to do it locally, through Council and MP.
Again, trying not to be too political, but if you're in a Tory area like me, it will have zero effect as it's their policy.

Not anti-Tory, probably be the same with any Party if they can see a quick buck !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I have signed the petition. If the petition really takes off, and loads of people sign, it may have little effect on this round of sales but perhaps future administrations will be wary of agreeing to any more.

I live in hope. (and for my Derbyshire friends I will complete the saying "and will die in Bakewell).
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Signed. It could do with some celebrity backing like Hugh FW or Jamie Oliver >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Signed.

Thanks for the heads-up, Richard, and thanks for the petition link, LL.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I've now sent the link to my friend, who is a member of our local allotment society. I'd have thought she would already be aware of the petition but seemingly not.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I do a blog for our allotments and i did a page on this last week. It would be great if you could all take a look. There is also an online petition that I have a link on there for .
I hope you like my blog too.
http://fhallotments.wordpress.com/2014/ ... -sell-off/

Jackie .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

I can see were your all coming from, however, once being a town councillor and an allotment secretary I can see the point from both sides.

In Gainsborough, (a small market town) we had 11 allotment sites (1981). Only one of those sites was full, the others being partly used. The site I was secretary for had 125 large plots of which 71 were un-used and a few of us gardeners’ had two plots. Most of the other sites were in the same kind of state.

At the council meeting it was decided that one of the sites which were rented from a farmer, would be handed back to save money. The plot holders on that site had their sheds and greenhouses dismantled and transported and erected on another site free of charge and they had two years free plots to get their plots back up to standard.

The ones that came to our site got a hand in digging over their new plot to make it easy for them to start planting again.

Though the council may be closing some sites they have to provide allotments by law.

There are now only five allotment sites left in the town and two of them are still only partly used.

John
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

Yes, they have to make another Site, within two miles I think it is.

I went to a local Allotment last week to ask a few Plot Holders what they thought and surprisingly they hadn't heard much about it, they were more concerned about when a Plot becomes vacant, they re-let it in quarters, halves or thirds etc.
Must say that after seeing the size of some of the Plots there, they're almost smallholdings and enough to feed 50 or more!

However, that's another thread maybe.

The argument for re-locating is one more of soil. Existing Allotments have become very fertile over the years. To have a new one is going to take time to settle.

My view on it is, if Councils take the Land away to build houses, why don't they build houses on the site they're providing a new Allotment !!

Richard