Miss Piggy's chicks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Miss Piggy's chicks

Post by kitla »

I'm afraid temptation got the better of me again this spring, Miss Piggy hasn't had
a turn to hatch, and she was so broody & looked so desperate :oops:
Anyway before I knew what happened there I was passing her 4 little eggs, one by
one, which she happily rolled under her lovely puffy feathers!
I thought I'd share my hatching adventure again this year.
They will be Bantam Orpington's, I don't know what colours I've been given as I asked
the breeder to surprise me. They are due to hatch on 6th May, but I haven't candled
them this time, I've left it all to Miss Piggy.
This is Miss Piggy, she's a bantam Orpington herself
and this is her nest (while she was out stretching her legs)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

perchy

Re: Miss Piggy's chicks

Post by perchy »

Aww how gorgeous is she {hug} look forward to hearing about how she gets on )t'
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

She is stunning! I love Orpingtons and may well end up with some myself! I have a broody runner on a nest of 13 or 14 at the moment! I'm not expecting her to go the distance but really REALLY hoping she does.
Keep the diary updated, can't wait to see the little fluff balls!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Miss Piggy is absolutely gorgeous )t' She is going to need a good rest at the moment
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm sooooo excited! The eggs are due to hatch in a few days, this afternoon I sent
Misspiggy out for a walk, topped up her food & water and decided to check each
egg over before she came back - I put one to my ear & heard a tapping noise!
I did the same with another and heard.....cheeping!!! I've been told they do this
but I've never heard it before, it was so brilliant!
Misspiggy is the greediest little chicken ever. I've been changing her food to chick
crumb this week so she gets used to it, usually the broodies don't like it much to
begin with & just pick at it a bit - not Misspiggy! she empties her bowl every day
and has actually put on weight since she's been sitting. I hope she shares nicely
with the babies!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Miss Piggy is real beauty I love the way these hens with the dark green in their feathers shine two of our foster boys had them and the shone in the sun :-D

It will be lovely to follow your gorgeous girls story of motherhood )t' LInda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well I definitely heard a cheep when I went to feed Misspiggy this morning, but
a quick peek under her feathers & all I could see was eggs so I'm guessing one
is in the process of hatching - (they're early!)
Smidge the cockerel stood still, staring at her coop for ages so he must have heard
it too.
I closed the lid and sat on a log next to it listening at the air vent hole (how sad
am I!) I could hear Misspiggy's soft bocking, together with the sound of bumblebees
on the flowers behind me......sigh! I could have sat there for hours. I've left her to
it, I'll check back later this am.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I know there's 2 hatched,I've seen a little yellow head and a dark coloured one,
but MissPiggy kept pushing them back under her feathers so I couldn't take a decent
photo
This evening I had a quick peek under her wing before she pecked my hand (she is
a bit grumpy) & saw another egg trying to hatch, I hope to see 4 chickies in the
morning!
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How exciting! You can just about see the little chickies face and beak in that shot. I bet you can't wait for tomorrow! Well done Miss Piggy )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Great news! Congratulations to you and miss Piggy. Keep the diary updated tomorrow, can't wait for some more pictures!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

These are the 2 chickies that hatched yesterday, they are very healthy and strong
and gorgeous
[url=http://s474.photobucket.com/user/kittyla/media/P1020292_zpsc2dc8c20.jpg.html][img]http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/kittyla/P1020292_zpsc2dc8c20.jpg
[/img][/url]
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

In the middle of the day this little guy popped out, he's much smaller than the others
and not as strong, I hope that's just because he's a day younger as he's sooo sweet.
By the end of the day Misspiggy was more relaxed with me being there & let me hand
feed the babies, but last egg was still hatching so I daren't interfere too much,
hopefully in the morning they'll all be out & I can spend more time with them.
Unfortunately I was so enthralled with the babies I left my camera in a silly place &
it fell off & smashed! wah! so having to borrow my son's!
We found this little baby in the garden - not a chicky but still cute, unfortunately
my exbatts found it too & we had to rellocate it (minus quite a few feathers)
--Immanuel Kant
perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh my goodness sooo cute {hug} {hug} beautiful pics, she does look quite relaxed, and how lovely putting them safely back under her {hug}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

First thing I opened the pop hole & put in the food dish, then went off to see to the
other chooks, came back 10 mins later & Misspiggy had done a huge (3 days worth)
broody poop in the run & they'd spilled half the chick crumb - but she was sitting
on her nest where I left her, babies tucked away, looking at me as if saying "it wasn't
me, a couple of big boys did it and ran away!" .ang.
All cleared up (note to self - only half fill the chickcrumb bowl from now on) and I was
rewarded by seeing dear little brown chick come out to eat, it spent some wonderful
quality time with mum, staring sweetly at eachother, she's much more gentle with
this one and it looks just like a mini me with her - heartmelting! but shame I didn't
have my camera with me. No sign of the 4th one yet, I wonder if it made it out.
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Aww they are just gorgeous! Want want want!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell