Question for LADIES ONLY please

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Question for LADIES ONLY please

Post by Kuikentje »

Recently I've been for my routine smear test - I'm 60 this month (no idea how that happened :? ). Never had problems before but this time it has been horrible. The first time, the speculum broke. The nurse tried twice more, which was unbearable - and I'm no wuss. By then we were both so traumatised that we stopped and made another appointment. Three more goes, same result - agony. But she did succeed in getting a few cells.
Then I got a letter saying there hadn't been enough cells and I had to go back for another test, which I did today. Different nurse, same result. Too painful to carry on.

Apparently some women do have this problem post-menopausally. The nurse said the next step is an appointment for the doctor to have a try (who will be no better than the nurses) and if that doesn't work, a referral to gynae where presumably they will either sedate me or use something a bit less painful to get inside.

Anybody had this experience? I quite like the idea of the sedation and of course it would mean I couldn't drive so would have to take the day off work :-D

It's not like dental treatment or something where you can say never mind, I'll leave it and just come back if I have a problem.
Life's too short to quarrel
perchy

Re: Question for LADIES ONLY please

Post by perchy »

Oh gosh am so sorry this has happened to you, I guess as we get "ahem" older things get more difficult in that department, I think you should maybe ask for sedation after this, as when you are tense it certainly doesn't help, being relaxed when having this done is hard anyway let alone when they are unable to perform the procedure, I personally would have thought nurses do this more regularly than Drs.

It is important that this is done as we know, so maybe book an appt with your Dr and ask if you can have sedation or maybe he could prescribe something for you to take before you go? just a thought {hug}
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Nurse booked me an appointment for next week - female doctor, luckily. I can't really take anything beforehand because anything strong enough to take the edge off the pain would make me too dopey to drive home.

And yes, of course the nurses do it more often, I expect that's just the protocol before they refer me on to another department. Believe it or not, on the ward where I occasionally do a bit of overtime, if you want to refer a patient to A&E you have to get a doctor to do it! Apparently the qualified nurses aren't able to make that judgement???

I'd like to think it's because I'm not all saggy but I don't think that's the reason............. :oops:
perchy

Post by perchy »

I am sure its isn't the reason I just think that age does play a part in it, and I don't know about you but I am much more aware of pain etc than I was years ago, strange but true, good luck )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Good luck with your next appointment, hun.

I know its easier said than done but I guess the important thing it to remain relaxed - perhaps something that might help you (wont be as good as sedation) but what about trying some Bachs Rescue Remedy before you go.

{hug}
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh goodness that sounds awful. I must be due for one fairly soon as it seems ages since the last one. I'm 54 now and so far haven't had any problems. Hope the next appointment is better {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am well overdue for mine and they keep sending me letters. I shall put it on my 'to do' list now!

Must say, not had any problems with it in the past, oh, except once when the doctor asked me to remain very still whilst 'in the position'. He left the room and came back with a pencil as he wanted to see where my knees came to on the wall so the new light they were having fitted would be in the right place {rofwl}

Oh yes, and there was also the time I had my post natal where I had to take my young son along, and when daddy got home in the evening, he told him that the doctor had opened me with a tin opener {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

p.penn wrote:I am well overdue for mine and they keep sending me letters. I shall put it on my 'to do' list now!

Must say, not had any problems with it in the past, oh, except once when the doctor asked me to remain very still whilst 'in the position'. He left the room and came back with a pencil as he wanted to see where my knees came to on the wall so the new light they were having fitted would be in the right place {rofwl}

Oh yes, and there was also the time I had my post natal where I had to take my young son along, and when daddy got home in the evening, he told him that the doctor had opened me with a tin opener {rofwl}

At least you've had a giggle with yours!