Does Your Dog Pull ??? We're Well Impressed With This

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Does Your Dog Pull ??? We're Well Impressed With This

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Both our dogs pull when on the lead, well the GSD does at the very start of a walk through sheer excitment but then calms down. The Jack Russell being a terrier pulls the whole time but as she is small can't pull very hard so it has never been a major problem just a bit of a pain.
I know Wendy, it's probably our fault by not spending as much time as we should have training them when they were pups but life really got in the way at the time.
The point of this post is that in our accidental meanderings around the interweb we came across a harness that slips on and off (only when you want it to) easily and purported to stop pulling instantly. We decided to take the plunge and give it a go, half expecting it to be a bit of a waste of money, and ordered one yesterday and it arrived today.
We got the GSD sized one and have tried it out this morning and have to say we are very impressed so far. As soon as any pulling pressure is put on it by our dog she stopped, there was no yanking of the lead so I didn't have to keep a death grip on it at all.
The lead attaches at the front onto a loop with the ring on it and when they start to pull it makes them turn in the direction of the lead and stop. The harness is fairly loose fitting and doesn't pinch anywhere just turns the pulling action into a gentle pivoting towards you action.
I know just one walk doesn't neccessarily prove anything but we will use it on all our walks and try to find as many situations that would normally encourage pulling and keep you updated and how well it does or doesn't work )t'
This is a photo of the harness but not our dog
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Re: Does Your Dog Pull ??? We're Well Impressed With This

Post by wendy »

Yes they do work. There are quite a few different ones on the market.
I am not adverse to them. If they make the walk more comfortable for you and the dog. That is fine. Doesn't teach them to walk nicely without. But that doesn't matter.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

I was thinking that it would be a start and using her normal lead attached to the collar as well I could mix & match to see if I could get her so used to not pulling that she would walk nicely on just the lead and collar.
I could see that for someone who was a bit unsteady on their feet that it would make walking their dog a lot less fraught.
Just about to take her out on the footpath alongside the road to see how it goes.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep walking on the two, may make her understand what you want

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had one but it was different as I think the lead attached on the back. It was great for a while, but didn't last.

I have had quite good results with a halti, but if I put Bailey on a normal lead though, she still pulls like crazy. That's fine though as I always usually use a halti.

Yours looks really interesting Dom and I wait to hear how effective it is long term
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Took her out on the road and although she tried to pull there was no power in it at all with no being dragged along the road. Our youngest had a go as well and had no trouble at all getting her to walk nicely.
Thinking about it logically all the power to pull either comes through the shoulders or chest depending on the lead/harness and with this one there is nothing to strain against as it just turns them inwards, so no pulling.
Another dog popped out not far in front of us from a side path and although she wanted to go a say hello she was still well under control and no problem.
Will let you all know how we progress in our travels.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

That's right, no power at the front.
People come with harnesses on their dogs, with a top fastening, apart from the power is all in the chest, That is how the strong men pull trucks, as all the power is in the shoulders and chest.
Also there is swivel in the middle of the back and the dog can go round in circles if so motivated :-D

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thats interesting, Dom.

Clares trainer let her use a harness with a ring on the chest and also on the back and it works for Teddy because she can use either/both, so lead training taking place but with a safety net, i.e. the lead attached to the ring at the front. The harness Clare has is broader and softer than the one in your piccie.

I used it on Sat when we went into a local small but very busy town and it really did work.

Clare will buy the harness when Teddy has stopped growing, until then she will use the one the trainer has given her.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just wondered how you are getting on with the new harness, Dom.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Morning Gwen,
It's working well, before she even gets to the end of the lead she eases back so there is rarely any tension on it let alone any pulling.
It works best on a standard short lead rather than an extending one, as on an extending lead the strap at the front where the lead attaches tends to droop a bit across the top half of her leg. This doesn't seem to bother her just looks to me that it might be a bit uncomfortable.
It certaily does what it says it's supposed to do and we have had no pulling whilst out on walks )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear its doing the job as described, Dom. )t'

Its amazing what 'thinking/looking' outside the box' does, isnt it? What is it they say, where there's a will there's a way? LOL