Oak sapling

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
pavel131
Lively Laner

Oak sapling

Post by pavel131 »

Hi folks. Haven't been on here for awhile.
I was in my back garden yesterday, and all of a sudden, I noticed an oak young sapling, just sprouted from the acorn. About 3 inches high with the recognisable oak leaf. It has begun to grow, in a large pot that houses a bay leaf tree.
I am so thrilled. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on nurturing it.
I would hate to lose it.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Oak sapling

Post by Richard »

Ooo, that's a question.

Maybe one of those plastic tubes around it, like they do when they plant new trees in National Parks etc?

Google Images

Or just a chicken wire cube ' fence slightly bigger than the above...

See here

Good luck, protecting our trees )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are you going to move it out of the pot while it's still easy to dig up without disturbing your Bay Tree. Maybe pot it up into its own pot, and plant it out when it's bigger.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Until 2yrs ago, I had an enormous oak tree growing on the land opposite my home. Each year I found sprouted acorns which took root anywhere in my garden, which I had to pull up or I would be living in a forest. About 5yrs ago, I did transplant one in the field opposite me which is now a beautiful tree about 8ft tall.
My one bit of advice is that it should be removed as soon as possible as the roots go down a long way and are not easy to get out one established. I think you will have a problem in moving it away from the bay without doing that tree some damage if left for too long. If you can get it out without damaging the root, you should be able to transplant it to wherever wanted without a problem. )t'

The one that I put into the field needed a bit of shaping when about 3ft tall to give it a nice straight trunk with a good shape at the top.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Thanks for your advice.
Have successfully replanted it, at the bottom of my garden.
Not bothered how big it gets, it won't ever be my problem. It will be my kids problem.
Ho ho.
Thanks once again.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.