Thoms Birds!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Re: Thoms Birds!

Post by Thomassio »

It seems one of my flock have a taste for fertile eggs. Down to ten now and not sure what to do. Fence off the broodies at the risk of disturbing them leaving ten eggs unincubated? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Well we are down to 9 now and I just don't know what to do. Found the shell of the latest one to disappear too. I'm desperately hoping that it's the ducks getting rid of the non viable eggs but I will be gutted if we end up with none. {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I've just googled stop ducks eating eggs, try it lots of advice on there
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks Sandy, I have had a look a few times already. That's what got me hoping that maybe they were getting rid of the bad eggs. I think I will seperate them tomorrow and hope for the best. The Brodie's will need to start getting used to chick crumb anyway so I can let the others continue their usual diet easier that way.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thom, I was in Aldi today and they were selling bird box cameras for £25-odd. Not sure whether that's an option if you want to know what's happening to the eggs. If you're really worried I guess you could put the eggs in an incubator but I don't know whether you could slip day olds under the broodys. Seperating them sees to be the only other option?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

So the latest on the egg sketch; we are on day 25 and down to 4 fertile eggs in the nest. I think a couple of them might be dead anyway now. Very sad after starting with 14 in the nest but I'm still hoping there might be one or two hatch.
Today a went to remove an egg shell from the run and inside was a very unpleasant looking but clearly identifiable dead duckling. Oh well, can't do anymore I suppose.
If we get none, I'm considering a couple of day old chicks and hopefully the broodies will take to them and look after them.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Please excuse the foul language, but I was very shocked, first time this has ever happened as they are usually so shy!

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw that's a shame, found a dead duckling in neighbours, looked as if it had been squashed. Hope some of the little ones make it >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Well another egg was thrown out today. It was cracked and absolutely rancid inside. I think there's one egg left that could possibly hatch and it should be today or tomorrow but I doubt it very much. {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Fingers crossed >fi<

TheGreatEgg
Lively Laner

Post by TheGreatEgg »

Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear this. How disappointing! Hope you do get your last one!
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

So unfortunately all the fertile eggs were either eaten or died. It's a real shame but what's done is done. Lessons learned. I cleaned out the house and threw the nest away. Disinfected and de-mited as I found a few when cleaning out. Mites are much rarer with ducks than chickens but after not cleaning them out for 4 weeks I'm not overly surprised.

So I replaced the bedding with a load of clean straw and within half an hour, Cindy Lauper and Sally were straight back in there! Today I picked up a couple of fluffy little ones to slip under the broody girls and they rejected them straight away. Quite nastily too. Such a shame, although on the plus side, it means I get the little beauties in the house with me for a few weeks!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thom, so sorry to hear about the eggs. Manda mentioned ducks don't make good mothers, I wonder if they don't make good broodies either? Would you want to try again and if so, what would you try differently?

I wonder if the mites had anything to do with the chicks dying?

The babies are gorgeous! Do you have the same introduction issues with ducks as with chickens?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh they are so cute! Lots of pics as they grow up please!

Sorry about the eggs though.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks guys.

Karen, I did wonder about the mites but will never get a definitive answer I suppose. I don't know if all ducks are poor mothers, in fact Muscovies are renowned for being very very good but runners are said to be poor broodies and mothers, often rejecting their own chicks if they manage to sit that long. I hoped we might be the exception because the broodie instinct seems to be so strong. They have been on the nest for 34ish days! Usually they don't last two weeks.

Would I do anything differently? I would love to try again but next time it will have to be an incubator I think. At least with runners. If in the future we have call ducks or Muscovies then I would definitely let them try.

Henpen, my camera is absolutely chockablock with hundreds of ducky pictures and videos, I'm far too snap happy so rest assured photos won't be an issue! In fact I'm going to sneak some into the chicken forum in just a second! {warn}