Hedgehogs and Chickens - Curious

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Hedgehogs and Chickens - Curious

Post by Richard »

I know Hedgehogs mainly come out at night but I can't recall any post during the 10 or so years of Forum about Hedgehogs with Chooks.

Have you seen your Chickens suddenly come accross one? What do they do?

Hedgehog fleas die as soon as they leave their body, so I guess they're harmless?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: Hedgehogs and Chickens - Curious

Post by bmpsands »

We have hedgehogs in our garden. Last autumn, just after we let the girls back out for fr time, one of the early risers must have got quite bold. Chook eating grass at the side of the path; hedgepig eating something off the path. Both ignoring the other. That's the only tilme I've seen them out together in 18 months of living out here.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

We were talking about hedgehogs last night, not seen any in years Richard. Where have they all gone? We always had a few outside in the evening (I gave them cat food) Now none. it's very sad {cry}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

36 million in the 1950's, now less than a million - They reckon it's down to poor hedgerow management and in gardens, slug pellets..
I was contemplating buying a shed and having a rehab centre, just a kind of Convalescent Home, somewhere Vets could ring if one needed a rest before going back in the wild.
Bit on hold at present due to my back.

Just wondered how they reacted to each other.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

In the last 6 weeks I have seen three in the garden. The ducks seem fairly non-plussed by them. The endless streams of sparrows, starlings etc are a different story!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I hadn't thought about it until your post but I have been here (rural area, good sized garden) for 10 years and haven't seen a single hedgehog. I haven't even seen a run-over one in the road - although we are certainly not short of other wildlife around here.

Richard, those figures are really shocking. Sorry, no help with your question but I do hope you go ahead with your plan.

Hope your back is better soon.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you.

I'll move this to Pets and Nature's Visitors, I should have posted it there really.

Richard )t'
eitoof
Learner Laner

Post by eitoof »

No idea but I have great fun watching the rabbits running around with the hens at the bottom of my plot!
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's nice eitoof !!
:-D