Got a few problems this year

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Got a few problems this year

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:one is i was 2 weeks to early for my tender things ,sweetcorn,runnerbeans,corgetts etc and going to make May 1st a good date to start these as the ones sown in last 2 weeks to replace the sick ones are now growing great guns and catching up

I think we all get caught out with the weather - a warm early spring and we all rush out to start gardening projects, but I've learned over the years that the weather tends to take a dive just when things are growing, whether it be an unexpected late frost or the heavens open and just doesn't stop (when we have a dry early spring, a wet early summer usually follows - but not always LOL)

The other thing is that I think this spring has been a bit odd - relatively mild but not quite warm enough for some of the tender plants to flourish (except for the recent spike)
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:Bill, I know you won't feel any better for this, but I do. Don't mean to glory in anyone's bad luck, but I'm one of those people who's still learning and whose best efforts have been depressing. It's reassuring to know it's not just a case of sowing the seeds and standing back! Thanks for sharing your 'issues' with us - hope they sort themselves out soon.

Hi freeranger

As you say if only life was so simple,as i write this it is like night outside and the rain is bouncing of the road ,allready had spuds flattened ,but good thing is i dont need to water tonight :?
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:one is i was 2 weeks to early for my tender things ,sweetcorn,runnerbeans,corgetts etc and going to make May 1st a good date to start these as the ones sown in last 2 weeks to replace the sick ones are now growing great guns and catching up

I think we all get caught out with the weather - a warm early spring and we all rush out to start gardening projects, but I've learned over the years that the weather tends to take a dive just when things are growing, whether it be an unexpected late frost or the heavens open and just doesn't stop (when we have a dry early spring, a wet early summer usually follows - but not always LOL)

The other thing is that I think this spring has been a bit odd - relatively mild but not quite warm enough for some of the tender plants to flourish (except for the recent spike)

Morning LL

Tipping down at the moment ,so not sure what i will find up the garden today ,after a few days of summer ,it has turned cool again .Runners are in corgetts are out side was going to get sweetcorn in today >shrug<

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We live at 1000ft, so we get a short season. I've got loads of seedlings on windowsills, including beans and peas which are getting very leggy, but it's been so cold at night I can't harden them off. We had hard frost last week. My courgettes' outer leaves have died back (I bought these and think they were already ready to go out but have been bringing them in last thing as we're colder than most other places). Getting the timing right is really one of the things that I find most difficult as a newbie.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:We live at 1000ft, so we get a short season. I've got loads of seedlings on windowsills, including beans and peas which are getting very leggy, but it's been so cold at night I can't harden them off. We had hard frost last week. My courgettes' outer leaves have died back (I bought these and think they were already ready to go out but have been bringing them in last thing as we're colder than most other places). Getting the timing right is really one of the things that I find most difficult as a newbie.

That is quite high ,might i ask roughly where you are,being in Norfolk not to high above sea level ,not a great lot of frost on the coast as sea tempretures help especially autum

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Scottish Borders, Bill - about 1/2 way between Newcastle & E'boro.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:Scottish Borders, Bill - about 1/2 way between Newcastle & E'boro.

Hence the short season )t'

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Yes, but others with more experience are better able to deal with it.