The latest bag creation

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

The latest bag creation

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello, rainy days mean sewing. My latest bag creation. I was given a very large piece of denim fabric left over from a re upholster job. This is coming in very handy for making bags.

It is fully lined in red cotton, from a bedsheet I bought for £1 from Age UK charity shop. It has a pocket inside for a phone or purse. The handles are long enough to hook over one shoulder, people seem to like that style. It is strong enough and big enough to carry library books, or to take lunch to work and pick up shopping on the way home.

If anyone wants to have a go at the crisscross pattern this is how I did it. Use a wire mesh tray as a template and sew crosses within the squares to get them neat and tidy. You can use the same technique on a smaller scale using the mesh bags you buy fruit in. Stretch it over the fabric and hold it in place with an embroidery hoop, or pegs, stitch within the squares. I added the silver beads after, bought in The Works, a packet of mixed beads for £1.

I have found the easiest way to line a bag is to make the two sides separately. Sew the lining to the outer with right sides facing leaving the top open, then turn it the right way round. Then add the handles and machine across the top. Join the two sides together, right sides out, and machine all the way around.
Have fun.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: The latest bag creation

Post by Spreckly »

The bag is fabulous, Ilona. Love the embroidery on the front.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like it.
When do the beads go on. You seem to have done most of the stars without any beads, do you stitch them separately.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very 'Cher' Ilona.

Nice one,

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo wrote:I like it.
When do the beads go on. You seem to have done most of the stars without any beads, do you stitch them separately.

Hi Mo. There are 149 small silver beads on it. The bag is finished, the lining is in, nothing more to add. Yes they have been stitched on separately.
Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

A really eye catching bag. What a good idea to use mesh for marking out the pattern. I still learn something every day. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Post by wendy »

That is very nice Ilona. Clever you )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning