Thoms Birds!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Thoms Birds!

Post by sandy »

OMG too cute for words )t' and the ducklings are lovely too {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

manda

Post by manda »

If it was me I'd put them under a broody hen..they sit better and they're better mums ...they just can't swim :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I would too Manda, but we don't have any broody hens. Or any hens at all for that matter! That was supposed to change this spring but haven't decided if I should get them or not :?
manda

Post by manda »

Have you got any friends who have hens that go broody...they might let you pop some eggs under....rather than hatch their own....works out win win then they get the broody hen off the brood quicker and you get your ducklings ...just an idea.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Good idea Manda but recently moved house and don't know anyone with chooks up here yet.
They are growing quickly, they still seem tiny but then I consider if they would fit in an egg now and there's no chance!

TheGreatEgg
Lively Laner

Post by TheGreatEgg »

Awwww, sweet!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They look positively glowing :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

The little additions are growing fast, they have also been named. Mia and Emily. Emily is the apricot and Mia is the fawn and white, named after two power rangers by they wife's godson!
Big girls are all ok although Maggie is starting to go broody again and the rest are most upset that I mowed the back garden. I even left them a patch to rummage in! The patch I left gives an idea what the rest of the grass was like......
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Awwwwww....
sorry, just had to get that off my chest. They are so cute.

Very kind of you to make sure the young ones had a bit of grass to play with, by bringing it in on your socks! {rofwl} They're going to be ever so tame, aren't they.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Well with the nice weather we decided the girls should have a paddling pool set up, last summer they loved it but sine we have had 6 instead of 3, they haven't had one. This one is deeper than the one that we had and getting in and out wasn't easy! They spent a long time figuring it out and still haven't been in more than two at a time!
We also introduced the ducklings to them for a few minutes and the big girls made quite a racket!

As for the little'uns being tame Henpen, they are now, but the moment the go out with the others I'm pretty sure they will follow suit when the big girls run away!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I hope not. Maybe it will work the other way and they will make your others more cuddly >fi<

The big uns look very interested in the fluffy ducklings. Do ducks have a pecking order? Do you have to as careful with intros as hen owners do?
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

There is definitely a pecking order and Lex is the boss. Very very protective. He often stands guard, croaking, while his harem of ladies enjoy rummaging among the grass! It's definitely a subtle pecking order, very rarely any pecking of each other. Introductions have been very easy for us, and I believe that's pretty standard with ducks. There a bit of racket and the odd peck but mostly they are just pleased to have some more friends!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Brilliant photos )t' I can never get enough of looking at runner ducks, Lucky the runner duck may have been far too amorous with me but I still miss him so much. The ducklings are just too gorgeous for words. You must film them running across a wooden floor, the sound is hilarious {rofwl}

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Well I haven't been in in a few weeks, so an update is in order.
We are having real problems introducing the new additions to the original flock. The girls are fairly unimpressed but not overly aggressive but lex is actively hunting them down when we take them into the garden and trying to pluck all their feathers out.....some of which he has managed.

On the egg front, we have only been getting three a day for a couple of weeks now, the picture shows how heavily a couple are moulting though so that explains the low egg production. The chocolate ladies should be a uniformed brown, the dark feathers are the new ones coming through.

And a comedy duckling video.....for Sandy!

I hope everyone else's girls are behaving and healthy.

Thom.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry I am late in replying, love it love it love it thanks so much for that video )t'