Help needed with tree identification

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Help needed with tree identification

Post by jemberelli »

Having moved into our place in November, things are now getting interesting in the garden/field - things are budding, blooming and starting to look very pretty. This year will be a learn what is there year and try to tidy things up as opposed to a revamp the garden year! There are a couple of trees that I don't know - would anyone be able to help id them please? Thanks in advance )t'

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Help needed with tree identification

Post by Mo »

I wonder if the lower picture is Sumach. Very pretty in Autumn but sends out suckers furiously - If you've got one all the neighbours will soon find they have too. http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=3984

I think the top tree is some kind of Prunus. Cherry or Almond (the ornamental sort). If so beware of cutting them in winter - if you need to prune do it when they are growing or they get some disease.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

There are loads of Sumac along the field edge Mo but I don't think that is one - will check it out later & compare! Thanks for your reply )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We think the first one is a type of Amelanchier and the second one a Mountain Ash.
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Blimey, thanks Dom & Ali )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Not sure about the top one, but the bottom one, definitely Mountain Ash or Rowen, as is also called. Grows very tall and colourful. Apparently the berries can be made into a preserve but never tried it myself. I have one growing near me, but the berries are too high to pick.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you June )t'
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think the top one might have been mentioned on Gardeners World but I don't remember what it was. A recent i-player version would still be available.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks, will check it out )t'