Anyone made a new shed from an old shed?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Anyone made a new shed from an old shed?

Post by Scrambled »

We've got a great big giant HUGE shed in the garden (was here when we moved) and it takes up too much space. We've got another area of 'dead' space, behind our garage, and would like to dismantle the old shed to make a new, smaller one to fit in there.

Has anyone done anything similar and do you have any tips or suggestions for things you did that worked well, or things you didn't do but in hindsight wished you had?

Part of me thinks that this will be a doddle, but the other part doesn't actually know where to start {rofwl}
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Anyone made a new shed from an old shed?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It all depends on how it is constructed. If it is just made up of frames nailed/screwed together then it is just a question of dismantling it, deciding which sides you want to shorten making sure that the newly made ends are properly supported and reassembling it in it's new home.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

The area it'll be going into is a bit of an odd shape, so although the length will probably be about the same as it is now, the width will be reduced quite drastically and will also taper, so the front will be wider than the back. It's a double-door shed, so will need to be a single door when finished - and it'll be put flush against the back of the garage, between the garage and a tall hedge.

Possibly we could use the garage wall itself as one side of the shed and just need then to make three other 'sides' and a sloping roof.

I think I need to take a look at shed in more detail than I had up to now :-D
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just a mere thought from a female that knows nothing about sheds, but wouldnt you need to get around the back and sides of shed to treat the wood?
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

The back won't be a problem, because we can get round there (the shed will go sideways on to the garage, which is accessible all the way round) - and I'm hoping >fi< that because it'll be fairly close to a thick hedge it will be protected down the side. We'll give it a good few doses of wood preservative before putting it into place, but I'm hoping we may be able to make it in such a way that the whole side panel can be removed for maintenance etc.

Can you tell that I don't really know what I'm talking about?! No wonder my poor husband sighs every time I tell him that I've had an idea {rofwl}
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Gwenoakes wrote:Just a mere thought from a female that knows nothing about sheds, but wouldnt you need to get around the back and sides of shed to treat the wood?

A female thought is not to be denigrated as it is such a rare thing.
As any bloke knows, when access to the shed sides is very restricted you cut 5" diameter holes in the affected shed sides, one every 19" horizontally and vertically to allow access for arm and paint brush so that wood treatment can be applied. Before siting the shed attach covers to the outside over each access hole securing from the inside top and bottom with screws. This will allow you, once the shed is built, to undo one screw causing the cover to swivel aside to allow painting then swivel it back into place, secure, release the second screw, swivel and paint the part covered by the cover while it was in the first position. Repeat with each access hole until the job is complete. )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Totally Scrambled wrote:A female thought is not to be denigrated as it is such a rare thing.

I have reported this statements to the Mods, who will no doubt take your side since you are one (or in Perchy & Staces' side of the gender divide, hit you with a )hic( , having carefully emptied it first
Totally Scrambled wrote:As any bloke knows, when access to the shed sides is very restricted you cut 5" diameter holes in the affected shed sides, one every 19" horizontally and vertically to allow access for arm and paint brush so that wood treatment can be applied. Before siting the shed attach covers to the outside over each access hole securing from the inside top and bottom with screws. This will allow you, once the shed is built, to undo one screw causing the cover to swivel aside to allow painting then swivel it back into place, secure, release the second screw, swivel and paint the part covered by the cover while it was in the first position. Repeat with each access hole until the job is complete. )

Have you patented this method? Why 19"?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Mo wrote:Have you patented this method? Why 19"?

This allows for reach of your arm through the hole to mid bicep level whilst holding the paintbrush at the optimal wood treatment application angle and ensures complete coverage of the area.
Of course this relates to the dimensions of the average blokes arm and can be adjusted if the blokes arm is longer or shorter than the average.
This adjustment for reach would automatically be factored into the calculations by any bloke undertaking this job as this knowledge is genetically programmed into blokes at birth.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Will ignore (nicely) your previous remarks, but not the last one when you keep talking about 'blokes arms'.

Do you not realise, Dom that it is the 'blokes' who usually put these wooden sheds up then it is the females who keep them in good repair and do the maintenance? Perhaps you could give us females some tips as to how to proceed and how far apart the said holes should be...........yes?

Or perhaps you should ask Ali before answering just to get the female side of things you understandy. {rofwl} {rofwl}
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Gwenoakes wrote: Perhaps you could give us females some tips as to how to proceed and how far apart the said holes should be...........yes?

Unfortunately I would find it difficult to advise you how far apart the access holes should be in relation to females as, although there is likely to be similarities between lengths of female arms and blokes arms, there are other things that would affect the calculations. Some ladies will have more difficulty getting closer to the wall than others due to certain physical attributes.
Then there are those who will not be able to get to close to the wall for fear of coming face to face with creepy crawlies or getting cobwebs etc. in their hair making the placement of the access holes academic.

Gwenoakes wrote: Or perhaps you should ask Ali before answering just to get the female side of things you understandy. {rofwl} {rofwl}

I have consulted with Ali and she agrees with my assessment or at least I'm sure she would if she was here
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Well thanks a lot - I ask for simple help and what happens??
I've spent 24 hours with my arm trapped in a hole in the shed....next time you give advice, at least get the measurements right {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{rofwl} {rofwl} That made me cry with laughing, Scrambled.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Am about to embark on a shed building project.
After moving in, eighteen months ago, have completed decorating throughout the house {hug&kiss}
I have a rickety minuscule shed at the bottom of the garden, also a small shared building at the side. The house is ex council, that has been beautifully re-bricked.
I need more workshop room, to indulge my hobby of furniture restoration.
Have managed to purloin 300 foot of 4x2 and 50 foot of 4x4 plus 10 sheets of marine ply.
All for no cost, I hasten to add, also legal as well. As I go to many building sites, I get opportunities to collect lots of material that are only going to get skipped, so this will cost virtually nothing......yippee.
Will keep you updated as to any tips OR mistakes that I make.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.