Weed killer

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Weed killer

Post by Grannyof4 »

If anyone wants help with what to use contact http://www.progreen.co.uk. These guys are brilliant and have helped me a lot as regards what to use on my paddocks especially.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Weed killer

Post by Gwenoakes »

In the paddocks we pull the Ragwort up, but inevitably you leave some root, so we have put ordinary salt in hole and filled in with turf. We have noticed that no Ragwort has grown in the same place, but obviously it has grown elsewhere, so repeat the process. Salt is good to get rid of dandelions too if sprinkled on the top, but doesnt do anything for grass growing through paving unfortunately. LOL

Someone on another forum I go on mentioned vinegar for weeds too, but not tried that.......yet.

Bloomin puter keeps posting before I have finished! We also cut nettles down, let them dry and horses love them, cant remember what is good in them though, they also like the sticky weed, sorry dont know name of it, but you dont have to dry that. You can also make good plant food from nettles, just cut them down, leave to soak in water for weeks/months then use on plants. It is good, but be warned it really pongs. LOL Think Mallard put that one up aaaaages ago.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

On the subject of dried nettles they are good for laminitic ponies.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Grannyof4 wrote:On the subject of dried nettles they are good for laminitic ponies.

That's useful to know. Ponies kept in with laminitis cost a fortune to feed, just at a time when there is all that grass.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Grannyof4 wrote:On the subject of dried nettles they are good for laminitic ponies.

Thats it, Grannyof4. )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I've filled 4 cubic metre bags with stinging nettles over the last few days. Anybody want to come and get them.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Totally Scrambled wrote:I've filled 4 cubic metre bags with stinging nettles over the last few days. Anybody want to come and get them.
Dom

Do you mean to say you are not going to use them for feeding your plants, Dom?!?!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

To make nettle juice you fill a bucket with loosely packed nettles, fill with water, cover and leave to stew. The resultant brew stinks.
I have yet to find a bucket large enough to accommodate the amount of nettles my garden can produce and if I did I am bound to have a visit from the Environment Agency investigating complaints of a sewerage/chemical leak.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You could use a plastic dustbin with a lid, Dom and maybe issue masks for the pong. )w( {rofwl}
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Nettles are also incredibly nutritious for us humans. I regularly get tender young nettle tops from our garden to go in my green smoothie.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

I would never use weedkiller or salt especially in a field where there are animals. Ragwort is easy to pull up by the roots. You just need to wait until it has a thick flowering stalk starting ,something to get hold of, and chose a day after rain, and you can just go round and do the lot in no time. Erm, Of course watch that you don't leave any lying. It is only when ragwort dies that the horses eat it, so killing it with salt or weedkiller is likely to poison them.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Don'tknow about horses etc, but was told to use sugar on roots to get rid of problematic weeds.