A good meal 'out'

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

A good meal 'out'

Post by Mo »

I have recently opened a bank account that offers me a 'lifestyle benefit'. I can choose between cinema tickets (last went over 40 years ago), a magazine (don't open the ones RSB and Wildlife Trust send) or membership of the Gourmet Society.
Set me thinking.
What is - what is your ideal meal when eating out? I can remember as a child my height of luxury was Beans on Toast in a caff.
I'm still a 'pub grub' & 'fish & chips' person, no 'messed up foriegn muck'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: A good meal 'out'

Post by Linda S »

There is a cafe in our local town that has been open years, I can remember wben the toilet was out the back in a yard and men and women used it.

Anyhow sometimes me and my daughter go in and have roast pork dinner its 2for £9 I think now and they use all fresh ingredients even the chips are proper ones and its very popular :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Used to be fish and chips, twice a year. I've given up fish now, so it's just the chips. :-D
Ilona
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Like you Mo, Jan & me are pub grub and fish-n-chips type people, but are also very partial to Indian food!. I remember as a child being taken to Lyons corner house in London by my Mum and Dad, where I thoroughly enjoyed scrambled egg on toast )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I really like to go out for a good 3 course meal, I like to get dressed up, heels and all, but some places go so OTT with the menu - we were going to go somewhere that had foam as one of the ingredients! Changed our minds about that!

Last week we were in Spain, on a campsite but goodness the food was good. There was 10 of us altogether and the starters were brought out, you didn't chose just got everything to share - huge tuna and egg salad, hot asparagus with palma ham, grilled pepper with crumbled cheese, bread and chorizo and cheese slices. The main course was very carnivorous - basically almost any type of meat with chips, then a choice of deserts. All served with beer, wine and water included at about 19 euro a head (£17 ish) a very cheap night out.

We went to a French restaurant on the way home and got a shock when the bill came to 75 euro a couple yike* It was a bit cheaper the next night as the only place open was McD's so we had a burger, chips and a McFlurry {rofwl}

Tonight is take away fish n chips from the pub in the village.... I have been cooking all week since we got back honest, but it has been such a busy week catching up with everything that I think I need another holiday....
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Well, being posh as I am don't you know, I like Crepes or just a full English from a darned good Greasy Spoon )eat(

I don't eat in Restaurants much - usually it's a Steak and Beer Pie or something similar.

If I have Fish and Chips, it's always Plaice, but my favourite fish is Dover Sole.

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote:Well, being posh as I am don't you know, I like Crepes

Yes, that is posh, foreign but not messed up. There's always a van selling them at Chippenham Folk Festival, so that was one meal of the weekend taken care of.
Probably the only times I eat out are after a ramble or when at a weekend FF, and at a FF I only need to top up, the full English breakfast* in the B&B keeps me going most of the day.

* though they would give me more than I could comfortably eat and still be able to move, if I let them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We're not great eaters out - can't be fussed to get dressed up etc. However, daughter and I go to France for a short break every year and there is this little Italian place opposite the Town Hall. No starter, 2 main courses, ices or somesuch for afters, a bottle of wine and two coffees comes to approximately E35. The only downside is the long walk back up the hill past the Cathedral with all that on board
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I rarely eat out now.
But we were out 2 or 3 times a week. Pretty dresses, pretty shoes not necessarily for Spencer. But he certainly is [was] a flamboyant in his clothes :-D
Loved it all! Anything from a 'Posh' Restaurant or the local Indian Restaurant .
We love it . Both of us make an effort, life is for enjoying yourself and very fragile.
Not every ones idea of enjoyment. But it was ours.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

for you wendy {hug} {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

{hug} {hug} and for you Honey {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oh Wendy, you are so brave. You both had such a fantastic time together, life is cruel. Your memories will last for ever and such good ones xxx