Flippin' rabbit!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Flippin' rabbit!

Post by Scrambled »

We have a very cute wild :bun: who visits us every day and is munching away on the entire garden. We had the same issue last year, but found it mildly amusing then - less so now as we're trying to get our fledgling garden established }hairout{

We've got six veg beds which we're going to surround individually with chicken wire, so hopefully that will stop the little beggar eating our vegetables - but I don't know what to do about the rest of the garden.

Has anyone got any advice?? Anything that I can maybe put down in the garden to deter (but definitely NOT HARM) bun? >coc<
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Flippin' rabbit!

Post by Gwenoakes »

The only thing I can think of is to fence all round the garden, so that he/she cant get in.

We had the same problem with Hares and Deer the other year who were munching on young trees we planted.

Got to say though 1 rabbit will turn into 101 in no time at all, so be warned. They dont say breeding like rabbits for nothing.

Just thought, wonder if you can get some Ferret poo to put round, may work.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Gwenoakes wrote:The only thing I can think of is to fence all round the garden, so that he/she cant get in.

We had the same problem with Hares and Deer the other year who were munching on young trees we planted.

Got to say though 1 rabbit will turn into 101 in no time at all, so be warned. They dont say breeding like rabbits for nothing.

Just thought, wonder if you can get some Ferret poo to put round, may work.

{rofwl} {rofwl}
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Ooh - will look into the ferret poo idea, thanks...not heard of that before )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Wabbits don't like ferrets.
There's a chap who has the shooting rights etc. on the fruit farm behind us and he uses ferrets to flush out bunny holes to keep the numbers down. He nets all but one entrance to the warren, sends in the ferret and the bunnies leg it into the nets. He then eats some and sells the rest to local butchers. He reckons they're better than shot ones as there is no lumps of shot to break your teeth on.
He says that no rabbits will move back into the vacant warren for at least a year after the ferret has been in as their scent will last that long uderground and bunnies don't like it.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Well I'll definitely see if I can source some ferret poo (not a sentence I ever imagined I would type) - in the meantime we've bought some chicken wire today so that we can at least start to make some individual 'fences' around the veg plots.

Although the shockingly expensive price yike* means we're only doing three of four of the beds at the moment.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Strawberry bed fenced off with chicken wire - done.

Netting stretched taut over the top to prevent birds getting in - done.

Rabbit dug under the wooden frame of the base and enjoyed a Wednesday morning breakfast of strawberries - done.

)hic( )hic( )hic( )hic( )hic(

Whilst attempting to locate a source of ferret poo online this morning, I've read that blood, fish and bone fertiliser deters them - also marigold plants. May as well try both - as well as now trying to dig a barrier into the ground.....and sourcing ferret poo.

When I went outside to shoo him away, he actually got out through a gap that is no more than the size of a golfball - which amazed me. I didn't know they could get through such small holes.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Scrambled wrote:Strawberry bed fenced off with chicken wire - done.
Rabbit dug under the wooden frame of the base and enjoyed a Wednesday morning breakfast of strawberries - done.

Like trying to keep blackbirds and crows off the cherries. You can shoo them when you are there, but they have all day to outwit you.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire