Bullied hen looking for some new friends.

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Mad Chick

Bullied hen looking for some new friends.

Post by Mad Chick »

I am at the point of wanting to rehome my lovely Treacle.

She is a black Orpington, 2 years old and laying very well.
My little flock of four have always got on so well but the last couple of months, all three of the others have turned on Treacle and she is now oven ready. I have tried anti-peck sprays, sudocream, water pistols, separating her for a few days (this made it even worse), separating the other three one by one, upping their protein, everything I can think of.

I love her to bits but I can't bear to see her looking so forlorn any more and it has gone on for so long now, she really needs to get away from them but is even sadder when I put her on her own.

If you think you may have room for my sad little girl, please let me know.

I am near Reading in Berkshire but would be willing to travel for the right home.

{cry}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Bullied hen looking for some new friends.

Post by kitla »

oh goodness! I'm really struggling now, my flock has become small now, though
I promised I wouldn't get any more till after summer hols....But we lost our beloved
Orpington last year and we'd love another one.
We don't get much fighting with the girls because my cockerel doesn't allow it.
I'm going to have a think about it. :? (head/heart/head/heart????)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

HEART!! HEART!!! +f+
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lucy, we are quite far from you - nearly 2 hours, you'd probably prefer her to go
somewhere closer. But if the situation is getting desperate I could fit her in,
I have 7 hens sized from pekin to Dorking and a bantam brahma cockerel ,they
free range 99% of the time & have lots of space.
What is her nature? are you able to handle her?
On another note, have you tried separating the top hen for a bit? it may make things
better - cant really make it worse.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Kitla, I would LOVE for you to have her - travelling is not a problem, I just want her to be in the right home {hug}

She has always been the bottom chook, quite quiet and although doesn't come running for a cuddle, once on my lap, she seems quite happy.

I have tried separating the two main culprits (both together and individually) but as soon as they are all back in together it starts again.

I'll pop a photo of her on tonight, she really does look in a state at the moment but is normally beautiful {cry}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Ok I'll pm you so we can arrange it, but if in the meantime someone else that is
closer to you offers to take her I wont be offended!
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

)c( yay, a happy ending )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

A HUGE thank you to Kitla who now has Treacle sunning herself in her garden {hug}

My garden seems very empty without her big bare bottom but I am sure it was the right thing to do and she couldn't have found a better place to live than with the lovely Kitla {hug&kiss}
Lucy x

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

You're welcome, hopefully if things work out well this time next year Treacle should
be back to her huge fluffy self. >fi<
Here she is enjoying the sun - still under my guard at the moment!
While the others have a chat about it in the background.
--Immanuel Kant
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww bless her and bless you both, a special {hug} for Lucy as I know how hard it was for you, and thank you Kitla for helping {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss}

Lovely grass }hairout{
manda

Post by manda »

Aww bless her...good on you both...hard decision for Lucy..good you could take her Kitla and great outcome for Treacle :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Im so glad of this lovely outcome for all of you, she looks well relaxed {hug}

Lucy you have been selfless in doing what is best for Treacle and it must be hard for you {hug} , this way you can still still her, and Kitlas is an ideal and lovely home for her. {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

A quick update. Introductions are going well, my big brahmas are firmly broody atm
so I'm letting them stay put, which is taking the pressure off Treacle, the only time
I shut her in her run is once a day when I get Bonny off the nest to eat (very grumpy broody!) She spends a lot of time sitting with Ariadne the dorking or under
her favourite rosebush, but has started to join the flock (at arm's length)
more often every day. At bedtime I have a lovely cuddle with her (she is soooo cuddly!) till she goes dozy then I pop her in the coop next to Spotty. Hopefully by the
time the other 3 girls are back from brooding Treacle will be settled in and confident
enough to stand up for herself.
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thank you so much for the update Kitla, I'm glad she's beginning to settle in {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I just had to share these pics of Treacle and Ariadne this afternoon
Seeing this made me so happy for both of them
{hug}
--Immanuel Kant