Dry weather danger!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Dry weather danger!

Post by jannie »

Long spells of dry weather can be a real problem for hedgehogs in this country as their main diet is slugs and snails which don't do well in dry conditions. If you know there are hedgehogs near you, a little dish of meaty tinned dog food and a shallow saucer of water can be a life saver. Even if you haven't seen any hedgehogs you could try putting some out to see if they visit ...pics are a must if they do. )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Dry weather danger!

Post by Richard »

To be honest in my 15 years or so down the Lane I've only ever seen them about 5 out of the 15.
Shame, it's a Hedgehog heaven around here.

Tomorrow I'm constructing a Hedgehog House and also one just 'thrown together' to see what they look like.

Some of you may recall I was thinking of getting another Shed and informing local Vets they could re-hab here then I'd let them loose, but I'm unsure of how long I'll be down the Lane, so at present that's on hold.

I love the snorks as they eat !!

Thanks for the tip Jannie.

Richard {hog} )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I haven't seen any this year but then I haven't really looked.
I have had several hedgehog meetings here over the years. One evening I went out the back door in the dark a thought one of the kids had left a ball on the patio as my foot connected with it and it rolled across the patio. As the security light came on I saw that it was a hedge hog. Don't worry it was fine and waddled off into the shrubbery )t'
Another time our GSD dropped what I at first thought was a netball on the kitchen floor when she came in from the garden. Yep you guessed it, it was a hedge hog :-D She hadn't hurt it, just gently brought it in to show me so I took it outside and off it waddled.
I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they are still around.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

As if to prove me right, I found this near where I'd put a shallow tray of water.

It is definitely hedgehog poo as it was full of shiny beetle wings. Something for you to look out for. )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

)c( )c(

I have seen some hedgehog poo in the border I was weeding, I thought it was and actually googled it, definitely hedgehog's )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Now all we've got to do is catch them doing it so we can get the pics. {hog} {rofwl}
perchy

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:Now all we've got to do is catch them doing it so we can get the pics. {hog} {rofwl}

Yes!!!! {hog}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Go go Perchy {hog} )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We are lucky enough to be visited by these lovely creatures but as someone else said we mostly only see them when the dogs go out for a wee and they see one. :-D
Our westie whines and brings attention to them but never tries to hurt it,

One warm night our rottie was on the grass playing around with what we thought was her football and the little one was barking and creating.
When we went out to tell her to calm down we found Ruby was gently batting a large hog between het paws and her nose yike*
Thank goodness her nose wasnt like a pin cushion and the hog just slowly uncurld and completely unharmed and unfazed carried on ridding us of our mollucs population :-D Lindaxx

Forgot to say that sometimes we have sen them tootling down the street during the night too,
When we had our caravan at cleethorpes we would many a time when returning home from our freinds house at night see foxes and hedgehogs going about their bussiness )t'
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wendy

Post by wendy »

Numerous years ago. My Akita's batted our regular one around the garden.
Never hurt it. But always got fleas from it :-D
I don't have anywhere in my fencing that one could come in now. Probably would be good for a disabled or needy one to come and live I would think.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning