Sweetcorn question

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Sweetcorn question

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I've only in the last couple of days seen articles where some cut off the side leaf from their Sweetcorn, enabling more light to get to the main stem and better growth, more cobs.

Through further searching it seems very 50 / 50 as to whether this is of benefit or not. Some Growers swear by it, some don't.

Has anyone an opinion on this? If you've tried it, did it work or didn't it?

I thought I may just experiment on 3 or 4, I have 14 so not too concerned, be a good tester.

My final thing is, if you have, maybe you could post a picture showing exactly where you did it.

Many thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Sweetcorn question

Post by billnorfolk »

Just leave mine to get on with it ,always seem ok 3to4 cobs on each plant ,farmer near me grows a few acres of maize so dense the centre must be black as night low down as usually 7to8 ft tall ,but always teaming trailers at harvest so really don't know >dum<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I look at is as the leaves being essential to absorbing sunlight to provide food for the plant and ultimately to the cobs. I can only think that cutting leaves off will trigger a response to produce seed to the next generation to ensure survival - but does not necessarily mean good sized, filled kernels. Personally I wouldn't, but it would be interesting to see what the results will be
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Bill and Lassie.

I've never cut them and like Bill, get 3 / 4 Cobs from each - that gives me up to 50 or so to put away for the Autumn and Winter plus a bit of Relish as well.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Richard wrote:Thanks Bill and Lassie.

I've never cut them and like Bill, get 3 / 4 Cobs from each - that gives me up to 50 or so to put away for the Autumn and Winter plus a bit of Relish as well.

Richard )t' )t'

I tell people Richard nothing can beat the taste of home grown sweetcorn )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Richard

Post by Richard »

That is so right Bill, them and Tomatoes I think are always the most noticeable.

I detest buying Tomatoes when ours have all gone.

When the Sweet Corn has gone (ate the last of mine about 3 weeks ago) I don't buy any from the shops.

Richard