A good picking yesterday

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A good picking yesterday

Post by albertajune »

Everything is coming along so well this year on the allotment. I went yesterday just to pick strawberries, another 3 punnets, and also picked the first mange tout, young beetroot tops and a few good sized, not too large, multi-coloured beetroots. I also thinned out the red lettuce and picked the first carrots.
A very satisfying picking. :-D I hope that all you veggie growers will be doing as well.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: A good picking yesterday

Post by billnorfolk »

Isn't it nice when it all comes together ,don't always look as good as the supermarket stuff but certainly taste better )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Where do you live in relation to Ashford June?

:-D :-D :-D

Enjoy them

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

This being the first year we have planted in Bulgaria, for once I am ahead of everyone I know. I have planted far too much as is normal out here, and with the freak weather we have been having some of the plants, especially the med varieties, are sulking in a big way, usually it is too hot by May for certain things like sweet peas which are doing very well in the wet conditions, much to the delight of our neighbours who have not seen them before.

Our peas, broad beans, mange tout and sugar snap are done, it is usually too hot to do any more and the second planting of peas and potatoes will be in August. Spinach has bolted, not happy about the sudden heat of the occasional fine day and strawberries finished weeks ago. Chard, courgettes, beets, carrots, garlic and brassicas are all doing well in the present conditions. I have been picking tomatoes and cucumbers for a couple of weeks but the plants are not too happy. We have far too many bean plants as we thought they would struggle with the heat, two sorts of runner, climbing French, flat yellow local ones and borlotti for drying. I am giving loads away. Okra, aubergines, sweetcorn and peppers are slow off the mark. They are all grown outside but usually in drought conditions. The fruit trees are looking motheaten with diseased fruit but the walnut looks great. Squash and self sown pumpkins are romping away.

The cottage style flower garden (what...no straight lines?) is extremely fragrant and wild, attracting loads of beneficial insects and making our honey bees happy.

We were hoping that this year we would find out what will grow well, but with the dry, mild winter and soggy spring/summer everything is abnormal.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sounds good June. I'm really glad you said 'picking' and not 'harvesting'. I always thought that it's farmers who get in the harvest, now everyone is using the term. I also pick my vegetables when I am ready for eating them. >veg4<
Ilona
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have had the strawberries ..great this year ,raspberries better than usual .The first lettuce has been pulled and I have had two bags of broad beans that were planted in November.
The down side so far is we lost our garlic it was very small and covered in a grey mould.

Tosca When the spinach bolts the chickens love it seeds and all. Just cut the tops off and it will keep them going all year.

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown